Liverpool have over the past day found themselves linked with 21-year-old Ivory Coast and Toulouse right back Serge Aurier. For fans hoping to see the club strengthen at both fullback positions, this is a good thing. It's also a thing that probably isn't actually true, with all signs pointing to it being a case of Aurier's agent using Liverpool as leverage as they work towards a rumoured deal with Arsenal.
The Gunners have made a bid of around £7-8M to his current club that is believed to have been enough for the Ligue 1 side to give them permission to talk to the player. Together with video of the player telling Arsenal fans he was moving to their club at a recent Ivory Coast pre-World Cup friendly—video he quickly re-tweeted—and pictures he's shared of himself in an Arsenal shirt, it seems clear where he sees his own future.
While it's always possible a late Liverpool bid to hijack his Arsenal move has been made, agents leaking information about the supposed interest of other clubs is hardly an unusual occurrence come silly season. Given Aurier's belief that he's on the verge of an Arsenal move there's little reason to believe that in this case it's anything more than that.
- Luis Alberto Malaga Loan Nearly Complete
- Southampton Push Back, Accuse Liverpool of Proposing "Ludicrous" Add-Ons
- The Liverpool Offside's Transfer Round-Up: Mobile Immobile Edition
- Adam Lallana Tells Southampton He Wants to Leave with Liverpool Bid on the Table
- Rumour Mongering: Alexis Sanchez to Liverpool Gathers Strength