clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Liverpool Women Fall Out Of FA Cup After 1-0 Loss To Leicester City

The Reds were knocked out in the fourth round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup in what seemed to be a fairly cagey affair

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Leicester City Women v Liverpool Women: The Women’s FA Cup 4th Round Photo by Liverpool FC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Liverpool FC traveled to Leicester City to take on the Foxes in the fourth round of the Vitality Women’s FA Cup on Sunday. For Liverpool, it was a chance to try to progress and find some positives out of a season that failed to pan out a year after they were relegated from the WSL. For Leicester City, it was an opportunity to keep their fantastic season going after they had officially be crowned the winners of the FA Women’s Championship just last weekend. Unfortunately, the game was not broadcast. The FA Player only shows one game a day, and Leicester City did not show the game.

Amber Whiteley continued to rotate her players in midfield and attack after several players were involved while on international duty last week. Ceri Holland and Niamh Fahey were given a rest after featuring for Wales and Ireland respectively. Rachel Furness broke her fibula while helping her Northern Ireland side qualify for the UEFA European Championships for the first time ever, and will miss the rest of the season. Razza Roberts moved inside to center back in the absence of Fahey, and Kirsty Linnett was given the captains armband in her 50th appearance for Liverpool.

The early going of the match was said to be a fairly even affair, with much of the battle occurring in midfield. Rachael Laws took a knock from Natasha Flint after coming off of her line to claim a through ball in the 15th minute but was able to continue. Both teams created a chance in the first half, but neither side was able to make it count.

Ceri Holland was introduced at half time in favor of Amalie Thestrup as Liverpool looked to find some offense, but both sides still struggled to produce clear cut chances. Becky Jane came on for Bo Kearns at the 60 minute mark as Leicester City began to take the upper hand.

The Foxes almost scored in the 62nd minute after Natasha Flint chipped an onrushing Rachael Laws, but the ball bounced just wide of the post. Just 10 minutes later, however, Leicester City found the breakthrough. Natasha Flint was again involved, this time as she stole the ball from Liverpool’s keeper at the edge of the box before passing it to Hannah Cain to finish in an open net.

Liverpool pushed hard for an equalizer, creating chances through both Ceri Holland and Lucy Parry, but were not able to find a finish. Liverpool now have nothing but pride left to play for in their last two games. They travel to Sheffield United next Sunday in a battle for the third spot in the table before returning home to Prenton Park for the final game of the season against London Bees.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Liverpool Offside Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Liverpool FC news from Liverpool Offside