clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Liverpool Women Defeat Crystal Palace 1-0

Captain Niamh Fahey scored a header off of a corner in the second half to secure all three points for the Reds

Crystal Palace Women v Liverpool Women - Barclays FA Women’s Championship Photo by Jacques Feeney/Getty Images

Don’t look now, but the Liverpool FC Women’s side has a little momentum. Fresh off of a 3-0 win over London Bees, the Reds took on Crystal Palace, looking to string together consecutive wins since the middle of December.

Amber Whitely named a strong side, with only Rinsola Babajide and Rachel Furness as glaring omissions. Babajide seems to have been completely frozen out, whether through her own volition or from Liverpool’s side remains to be seen. Furness may have been carrying a knock that kept her from travelling with the team, but it is unclear as of now. She trained with the team this past week at least.

Liverpool took control of proceedings early on, maintaining possession for stretches at a time. The Reds threatened twice in the first 15 minutes. Ceri Holland provided a ball for Ashley Hodson eight minutes in, but Crystal Palace was able to knick the ball away. Liverpool managed a shot on target in the 12th minute, but Melissa Lawley’s shot was well held by the keeper.

Ashely Hodson again provided a threat after being slipped in by Amy Rodgers, but her shot was saved by Chloe Morgan. Kirsty Linnett then sent a volley just wide after 29 minutes.

After that, Chrystal Palace began to grow into the game. Rachael Laws was fist called into action on the brink of half time as she saved a a free kick.

Becky Jane, who scored the opening goal last week, came on for Melissa Lawley to start the second half. Liverpool wasted no time getting things started, with Kirsty Linnett forcing a save just a minute into the second half.

Liverpool made their second change in the 60th minute, with Missy Bo Kearns coming on for Amy Rodgers. Kearns didn’t have to wait long to get involved. In the 64th minute, the young Scouser whipped in a corner kick that was met by Niamh Fahey, who thumped a header past the keeper and into the back of the net!

Crystal Palace immediately pushed for an equalizer, but Rachael Laws was able to tip a ball over the crossbar to preserve the lead. The game hung in the balance, with neither team able to generate many clear cut chances after that. Taylor Hinds ripped a long range shot in the 82nd minute that was kept out, but that was the last decent chance of the game.

Liverpool managed to hang on and win 1-0. The Reds are entrenched in 4th. They are tied on points with Sheffield United, and have a commanding lead ahead of Londong City in 5th. Liverpool will host Coventry United next Sunday, and look to keep the winning streak going.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Liverpool Offside Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Liverpool FC news from Liverpool Offside