With Liverpool entering the FA Cup today when they face off against AFC Wimbledon and Steven Gerrard announcing he would be leaving Liverpool at the end of the season late last week, there was always bound to be an air of nostalgia to proceedings. The FA help to kick that off today with a look back at five of Gerrard’s best FA Cup goals over the years.
Tranmere, Everton, West Ham, Luton, and West Ham again for his 2006 FA Cup final goal provide the fodder, with cameos for Gary McAllister and Fernando Torres. Some might quibble over a few of the selections, but the FA’s top pick at least seems beyond reproach. And now the question is whether Gerrard still has enough left in the tank to provide a special moment or two in the current edition of the competition.
He’s likely to at least get the chance to, with rumours that he will be included in the lineup today in an advanced role, pushing forward to replace Adam Lallana, who suffered a thigh strain against Leicester City.
- The Week in Comments: "even Wayne Routledge joined #TeamNoPants"
- Barnes: Liverpool "Should Not Have Been Held Ransom" to Ensure Gerrard Stay
- AFC Wimbledon vs. Liverpool, 01.05.15
- Rumour Mongering: Liverpool Target Another La Liga Striker
- Steven Gerrard Set to Leave Liverpool, Join LA Galaxy at Season's End