When Mario Balotelli was brought to Anfield from AC Milan last summer for a fee of £16 million, he was expected to add goals to a side that had just lost Luis Suarez. Those goals never really came from the Italian, and while an attacking system that emphasized his weaknesses didn't exactly help his performance, his own quality has been called into question by many. Even for Balotelli's believers -- a crowd that I have remained a part of -- it's clear that he's not at the forefront of Brendan Rodgers' current plans and therefore might move on this summer if a proper destination presents itself.
That destination could be Newcastle, as the Echo reports that the Magpies are interested in rebuilding Balotelli's career with a loan move. Frankly, this is a fantastic opportunity for Liverpool to retain faith in a clearly talented player and give him more Premier League playing time with a young team all while sidestepping his wages for a season.
Whether Newcastle are genuinely interested in taking on Balotelli remains to be seen, and the legitimacy of this rumor should become clear in the next few days. We'll keep you updated on any developments on the Balotelli front with a sudden hope that his future at Liverpool may not be completely finished after all.
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Reds to Sign American Wonderkid Brooks Lennon
- Southampton Were "Keen to Move Swiftly" to Complete Clyne Deal
- Clyne a "Massive Signing" for Liverpool
- Know Your Enemies: Liverpool's Premier League Opposition in 2015-16
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Reds Track Carvalho but Face Competition from Arsenal and Manchester United