Liverpool’s 22-year-old defender Andre Wisdom has today officially secured a season-long loan to newly promoted Norwich City. The England U21 international has spent most of the past two seasons on loan with Derby County and West Brom, playing primarily as a right back, though at the youth level he was usually projected to become a centre half.
With 18-year-old Joe Gomez impressing during pre-season and Wisdom’s lack of top end speed making him poorly suited to get time at fullback for Liverpool, a loan always seemed on the cards despite that the player signed a new four-year deal recently. In retrospect, that new deal appears largely to have been an effort by the club to preserve Wisdom’s value on the market.
If he can impress for Norwich, though—particularly at centre half—it isn’t impossible to think he might still have a future at Anfield. It may even be that Liverpool made time at centre half a condition of his loan, which will see Norwich paying £1.25M to take him on for the season. However, it seems increasingly likely that Widsom’s long-term future is away from Anfield.
No matter what that long-term future holds, though, hopefully his time with Norwich will go well. Wisdom has made 22 senior appearances for Liverpool since 2012 and, in his two loan spells, played a further 86 first team games in all competitions.
- How Will Liverpool Line Up in 2015-16? Pre-Season Tactics Hint at a Christmas Tree
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Barcelona Want Reds Defender
- Brazil Starlet Training with Liverpool First Team Ahead of Expected Move
- Rumour Mongering: The Latest Nothings On Digne
- Helsinki Syndrome: Ings & Milner Looking Forward to Finnish Friendly