Having landed in Bangkok ahead of tomorrow’s match against a Thai All Star XI, Brendan Rodgers sat down to speak to the media for the first time ahead of the coming season. Unsurprisingly, following news of a £49M fee being agreed with Manchester City, the subject people wanted to head about most was Raheem Sterling.
"The situation is very simple," said Rodgers, feely acknowledging that Sterling’s departure was quite nearly settled with just the medical and player’s signing of a reported £200k per week deal still to go. "The club has agreed with another club a deal for Raheem to be transferred, and subject to medical it will go through."
Though none of that is surprising, it serves as one final piece of confirmation. Barring something truly strange, Sterling will officially be a City player in a matter of days at absolute most. What will be surprising, and perhaps even a touch controversial, will be Rodgers’ claims he had a strong relationship with the player until the end.
"Contrary to what was written, Raheem and I have stayed very strong in our relationship right up until he left," said the Liverpool manager. "There are no issues there. I spoke to Raheem at length before I left yesterday, and there is no problem at all, and like I said, the two clubs have now agreed a deal for him."
- Raheem Sterling Set to Become One of World’s Ten Richest Players
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Everyone Loves a Serie A Player Swap
- Liverpool Agree £49M Sterling Deal: Ex-Reds React
- Liverpool Could Lose Out to MLS Team For Surprise Striker Target
- Official: Liverpool Agree £49m Deal with Manchester City for Raheem Sterling