There are certain transfers unify a fanbase, and Liverpool's signing of Roberto Firmino earlier this week was one of those moves. You'd be hard pressed to find a single complaint about that transfer, despite the generally toxic and rather absurd nature of life on the Internet. Liverpool's pursuit of Christian Benteke has unified supporters in a different way, as there's a widespread "don't you dare spend a ridiculous amount of money on this guy" mentality that the vast majority of Liverpool fans seem to hold.
The masses will be disappointed then by a new report that suggests that Liverpool have renewed their interest in the Aston Villa striker and are set to make a new bid for the player. The Mirror believes that Liverpool are ready to test Villa with a bid "in excess of £25 Million." However, they are quick to point out that Villa are holding out for Benteke's £32.5 Million release clause to be triggered.
Even though Benteke is probably a bit better than many give him credit for, £25 Million is simply too much money to spend on what he has to offer. It's unwise for Liverpool to make such a bid, especially when other options such as Carlos Bacca are still on the market.
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Higuain Clause Will Deter Liverpool Interest
- The FA Say Roberto Firmino Will Qualify for Work Permit
- Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Abandon Chase of Serie A Star
- Hamann Insists Talented Firmino "Won’t Be Bullied"
- Roma Join Liverpool and Manchester United in Bacca Race