Liverpool have put a lot of time into bolstering their midfield this summer, as they've already signed James Milner and now appear on the brink of signing several other midfield players. But while efforts such as their reported pursuit of defensive midfielder Asier Illarramendi are encouraging for supporters of the club, other reports are more puzzling.
The Mateo Kovacic saga, which increasingly looks like a figment of the Italian media's imagination, fits into the latter category. Kovacic, a creative midfielder for Inter Milan, has been linked to Liverpool for weeks despite major questions surrounding how he might fit into the team. He's talented enough to become a star, but unless Liverpool purchase him at a discount, his transfer might not be the best piece of business given the team's more glaring needs.
New reports in Italy indicate that Liverpool are close to matching Inter's asking price, and need to offer only £3.5 million more to get Kovacic. £3.5 million more than what is unknown, but perhaps that important detail will emerge in the coming days. Either way, with English media outlets still disputing any movement toward acquiring Kovacic, it's best to remain skeptical of this particular rumor.
- Watch: Emre Can vs. Denmark U21s
- Sunday Open Thread: ILORI-SAKHO 2015 Edition
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Real Madrid Happy with Liverpool's Illarramendi Bid
- Gomez Looking Forward to Opportunities Under Rodgers' Management
- Liverpool FC Transfer Rumours: Reds Back Off Benteke and Turn Attentions Elsewhere