Liverpool have long needed help at the defensive midfield position, as Lucas has been the team's only true defensive midfielder for the last few seasons. Given Lucas' injury problems and the need to further improve team depth, it would make sense for Brendan Rodgers to invest in a defensive midfielder this summer.
The Daily Star reports that Real Madrid's Asier Illarramendi is now available for Liverpool to purchase after Madrid's elimination from the Champions League last Wednesday. The report states that the 25-year-old midfielder, who is under contract until 2019 and has expressed a desire to reclaim his place in Madrid's starting eleven, has been valued by his team at £15m. Meanwhile, the Daily Star claims that Liverpool are thus far only willing to offer £12m for the player.
Illarramendi is a talented player who is about to enter the prime years of his career, and given his lack of consistent playing time for Madrid it's possible for Liverpool to purchase him at a discount. If he's really available -- which is remains questionable despite the Daily Star's report -- then he is absolutely worth looking into to shore up the team's defensive midfield.
- Konoplyanka "Sorry" for Missing Out on Liverpool Move
- Watch: Adam Lallana vs. Crystal Palace
- Sunday Open Thread: More Things to Dislike Edition
- Rodgers Laments Defensive Lapses, Dejan Lovren's Existence, in Loss to Crystal Palace
- Gerrard Thanks Supporters in Emotional, Disappointing Anfield Farewell