Earlier this month, the Mirror reported that Liverpool tried to sign 19-year-old Schalke winger Leroy Sané over the summer but were turned away because Sané wasn't interested in a move to Anfield. At least that's what Schalke director Horst Heldt claimed, as he told the media that he wasn't worried about losing Sané any time soon.
"These offers didn't at all interest us or the player. I am really not concerned about losing the player," said Heldt.
Many believed that Liverpool would attempt to rekindle transfer talks over Sané in January under Brendan Rodgers, but even with the appointment of Jürgen Klopp, a transfer inquiry remains on the table. Sané, a pacey left-footed winger, is a nice fit for Klopp's spread out high-pressing attack, and if Liverpool are willing to spend in January he could be a quality addition.
Bundesliga reporter Jane Aage Fjortoft speculated on Twitter that such a move could happen.
Here's a Sane compilation video:
- Jürgen Klopp, Joe Gomez, and Hairspray
- Liverpool’s October Internationals: Preview, Streaming, and Ways to Watch Denmark vs France and Lithuania vs. England
- Klopp Prepared to Use Youth Players Regularly
- Klopp Agent: No Call From Liverpool Until After Brendan Rodgers was Fired
- Tom Werner Admits Long Time Admiration for Klopp