Fulham: Babel 74’
Liverpool: Mane 26’, Milner (pen) 81’
- Pre-Match: After Adam Lallana’s performances the past couple weeks, his inclusion in the midfield is met with more excitement this time - especially with the knowledge that Jordan Henderson is out with that ankle injury. Also Virgil van Dijk is the captain today so I guess add that to your narrative.
- Here we go! Things are off to a steady start so here’s hoping Liverpool find their legs sooner rather than later.
- Ryan Babel’s hair is something else, isn’t it?
- Fulham have had a couple decent chances in the first ten minutes, which is enough to really make sure you’re awake for this match, but otherwise it’s been basically elaborate keep away led by the Reds.
- Salah trying to get one too many touches in when he had a clear shot on goal after a gorgeous pinged ball. He’s just been giving defenders too much time to catch up with him and it’s Not Great. He’s probably feeling the pressure of not scoring, but that was a perfect chance.
- GOAL! Super Sadio Mane makes the breakthrough for the Reds after a dummy from Roberto Firmino!
- There hasn’t been a whole lot else to write about and we’re 36 minutes in, so sorry. There’s been lots of passing and Fulham player that looked about 15 just skied the ball into the stands. Fulham have also been packing practically their whole team into the box so that says more about them than us? I’m reaching here.
- Fabinho picks up a yellow for what looks like a late challenge from one angle and then not even two minutes later another Fulham player falls into him to make it look worse so I guess that’s how this game is going to go.
- There isn’t exactly anything in this setup that isn’t working so no changes are about to be made, but this was not exactly the most enjoyable of first halves.
- I can’t even apologize for not knowing any Fulham players except for Ryan Babel, whoops.
- Halftime: Going into the second half with a 1-0 lead isn’t bad but you know what else isn’t bad? Ending the game with more than that. Come on Reds.
- Yup, no changes starting in the second half, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
- Bobby and Sadio both had the chance to make it two in the span of a couple minutes but couldn’t get the control they would’ve wanted of the ball so we’re all left wanting but their confidence is going for it is definitely going to help us in this second half.
- Only in England could the first half of the match be sunny and making everyone sweat and then the second half encourage popped collars to shield from the rain.
- Liverpool look like they’re trying to speed up the game now that they’ve spent 45 minutes dragging them through the mud, and Fulham definitely can’t keep up.
- Hahahahahah Fulham get a goal but it’s offside, by the whole entire team.
- Adam Lallana just blocked a Fulham shot literally with his face, Mohamed Salah tracked back THE ENTIRE WAY to make sure that someone was on Ryan Babel and Alisson thankfully saved that comedy of errors to maintain the scoreline and honestly I didn’t need any of that stress.
- Klopp makes his first change, taking off Lallana and Bobby for Divock Origi and James Milner which is interesting but seriously does Shaqiri have to sacrifice a goat to get back into the squad?
- Goal. It had to be Ryan Babel scoring against us, with Alisson making a poor decision in how to clear it and leaving his goal open.
- Come on Liverpool, we’ve got slightly less than twenty minutes to pull a win out of this and we NEED A WIN. We need a good response.
- PENALTY! The Fulham keeper tries to take down Mane after a missed shot and THANKFULLY OUR PENALTY KING IS ON THE PITCH. It’s almost like fate.
- GOAL! James Fucking Milner converts from the spot to put Liverpool ahead and almost single handedly save our title challenge, honestly. We got lucky to get that penalty but SO WORTH IT.
- UGH ALMOST. Mane wins the ball and sets up Salah perfectly only for him to shoot it right at the keeper. He’s wanted a goal SO BAD this whole match, it’s almost painful to not see him get one.
- Three minutes of added time for Liverpool to hopefully find one more goal so that we can all go enjoy our St. Paddy’s days in our own ways and not miserably drinking for our title run.
- Daniel Sturridge comes on for literally a minute but I’ll take it. I’LL TAKE IT.
- Final Whistle: WE DID IT AND OUR TITLE CHALLENGE IS INTACT. LIV’POOL TOP OF THE LEAGUE!
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.