Chelsea 1 - 1 Liverpool
Chelsea: Hazard 25’
Liverpool: Sturridge 89’
- PRE-MATCH THOUGHT: Van Dijk beats the clock and it ready to start in this important game against Chelsea tonight. Let’s hope it’s worth it.
- Salah is finding his way into lots of space in Chelsea’s box, but so far hasn’t been able to capitalize on it.
- Firmino gets close, but it’s pushed out for a corner.
- Alisson makes a great one on one save when Willian is kept onside by Robertson with lots of space. Wow, could have been the big moment of this half, if not for Alisson.
- Chelsea have played themselves into this game, and at 25 minutes, they seem to be firmly on the front foot.
- goal - 25’ Hazard - And as I say that, Hazard finds a way through to put it in the side netting and open scoring.
- Salah has an effort cleared off the line. He looks destined to score today. Hopefully it’s before halftime.
- HALFTIME THOUGHT: That could have been better. But with Liverpool’s complete lack of finishing in front of the goal, it also could have been a lot worse. Hopefully they take some time to regroup and come back out in the second half looking like themselves again.
- The second half...does not start great. Gomez prevents a good chance on our end. Liverpool look scattered already. Get it together. I’d like to see Danny ‘goal machine’ Sturridge get some time to run at these in the last 45.
- Liverpool’s spine doesn’t look great at the moment. Some subs might be in order.
- Mané gets close, but Kepa gets the save in. One of these eventually makes it in, right? Or preferably two of them?
- Alisson Becker is a great goalkeeper.
- Mo Salah comes off and Shaqiri comes on. Good change, I think. It just wasn’t Mo’s day.
- Now it’s Shaqiri’s turn to miss a big chance. Maybe it’s just not ANYONE’S day.
- Keïta comes on for Henderson to try and liven up the dead midfield. Still think we could use Danny.
- Alisson has been our man of the match, by a large margin. He has kept Liverpool in this game, and if they manage to get anything out of it, it’s thanks to him.
- Finally, probably too late, Sturridge is coming on for Liverpool in place of Milner.
- GOAL!!!!! STURRIDGE 89’ - I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU! It’s Sturridge again, with an absolute stunner of a 50th goal for Liverpool, right in the top corner, gorgeous gorgeous. I TOLD YOU.
- FINAL WHISTLE THOUGHT: This one feels like a win, even if it’s our worst result yet. Danny Sturridge is back, you guys.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.