Liverpool 3 - 0 Southampton
Liverpool: Hoedt 10 (OG)’, Matip 21’, Salah 45+3’
- PRE-MATCH THOUGHT: Fascinating changes from Klopp as Gomez and Milner get a rest and Matip, Shaqiri, and Bobby Firmino are all in today’s starting XI. Hopefully it works out.
- Liverpool are doing well in the opening five minutes, but have been unable to produce an effective final ball.
- Great work from Matip to start a break from Liverpool that ends with a corner.
- GOAL!!!! OG Hoedt 10’ - That was a very weird one. Hoedt tries to defend against Shaqiri’s cross and his deflection just dribbles into the back of McCarthy’s net. That was embarrassing.
- GOALLLL!!! Matip 21’ - A bad miss from Salah leads to a corner, and the corner leads to gorgeous header from Joël Matip to double the Reds’ lead. Jürgen Klopp is a genius, pass it on.
- Nathan Redmond with an excellent cross that would have lead to a goal, if not for Alexander-Arnold’s timely interference. That’s the most dangerous they’ve been so far in this game.
- As entertaining as this has been, it would be nice to see one of our attackers grab a goal as well. They’ve looked befuddled in front of the goal this game, for as lovely as the build up play has been.
- Speaking of, Liverpool are nearly three up when Salah goes on the break and comes inches wide through an improvised backheel. Whyyyyy.
- GOAL!!!!! Salah 45+3’ - And just as I say that!! Shaqiri takes a last minute free kick that slams against the cross bar and hits the ground. Salah is the quickest to react and gets a toe on it to send it into the back of the net. His grin afterward could power the sun.
- HALFTIME THOUGHT: Love a last minute goal. Hope we see Fabinho in the second half. Shaqiri and Matip both paying back Klopp’s confidence in them today.
- Van Dijk has gone off at halftime with an injury. Well, this is not great. Gomez is on alongside Matip. Milner is also on for Shaqiri, which is a bit odd, but I think it’s a response to van Dijk going off. Klopp wants a bit more defensive solidity in the midfield.
- The match has slowed down a lot this half. Liverpool has controlled the possession, but neither team has pressed much.
- Fabinho misses out again as Naby Keïta is Klopp’s final substitution of the day, replacing Gini Wijnaldum.
- The Twitter word is that van Dijk’s substitution was a precaution, and we should probably expect him to be rested midweek in the League Cup, but that’s great news.
- Salah has a second goal deemed offside, because the ref hates joy, I guess.
- FINAL WHISTLE THOUGHT: Assuming that big VVD is ok, this was another great day for Liverpool. 3 points, and the Reds once again go top of the league. Seven wins in a row, and it doesn’t look like they plan to stop any time soon.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.