Leicester City 1 - 2 Liverpool
Leicester City: Ghezzal 63’
Liverpool: Sadio Mané 10’, Firmino 44’
- PRE-MATCH: The only change that Klopp makes is to replace Naby Keïta with Jordan Henderson. I’m guessing that means we’ll see Wijnaldum play further forward.
- Liverpool have started brightly here. Firmino has a shot blocked and the follow up from Salah is put just wide of the net. Disappointing there. Let’s hope the Reds don’t regret that miss.
- GOAL!!! - Mané 10’ - Mané continues his excellent form, scoring his fourth goal in four games. This one is all thanks to Andy Robertson. The fullback jinks and jives past his defenders to break free in Leicester’s box and find Mané, who slots it home.
- Someone get Bobby Firmino a goal.
- Leicester are reduced to desperate defending here as Liverpool produce wave after wave of attack.
- And as I say that, Leicester gets a good run in, but Alisson comes through clutch, making a big, diving save that gets Liverpool out of trouble. Gray’s strike went right between Joe Gomez’s legs, making it a tricky one for Alisson, but he pulled it out. I’m still coming to terms with the fact that we have a defense that can hold the line when it counts.
- GOAL!!!! Firmino 44’ - In the 43rd minute, Salah gets a shot on goal that’s blocked by Schmeichel for a corner. The first one doesn’t work out but earns them another corner. Bobby slots home the next one with a beautiful header. We got him his goal; good work team! Love a goal before halftime, especially when it makes it 2-0!
- HALFTIME: The last 15-20 minutes were nervy, but Liverpool got the second goal they needed to help us all calm down a bit. Firmino hasn’t had his best game, but he nabbed a goal when it counted. Hoping to see Salah get one next half so that we get our first complete set of the season.
- Leicester came out swinging to start the second half. It’d be nice if there was another goal in this for Liverpool before the match ends.
- In the 52nd minute, Joe Gomez puts in a crucial, last ditch challenge that denies James Maddison from only a few yards out. That was perfect, even if I wish it hadn’t gotten that close in the first place.
- Van Dijk gets a yellow card for a late tackle on the edge of the box. Maddison takes that free kick that’s easily blocked by the wall. I liked the last half better than this one, thanks.
- goal :( Ghezzal 63’ - We all knew that it was going to happen eventually, but I think we were hoping it would be a little later. Van Dijk sends a bad back pass to Alisson, and instead of getting rid of it, Alisson attempts to control it and play it out the back. He gets the ball skinned from him and Ghezzal scores in the open goal.
- Naby Keïta comes on and Xherdan Shaqiri makes his official Reds debut. It’s Jordan Henderson and Mo Salah done for the day.
- A nervy last five minutes of stoppage time as Leicester search for a goal to tie the game.
- FINAL WHISTLE: Liverpool manage 12 out of 12 points to begin their season. An errant goal today is the only blemish of an otherwise perfect start.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.