Liverpool 1 - 0 Brighton
Liverpool: Salah 21’
- PRE-MATCH THOUGHT: Klopp goes with the same lineup as the first two game. Appears he’s living by the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” school of thought. I hope we see the attack really kick off today. With Manchester City dropping points, Liverpool have a chance to jump back into first place if they can pick up a win here.
- Salah and Mané combine early for Liverpool’s first chance of the game, but Mané shoots wide of the mark. Brighton look like they’re having trouble dealing with Liverpool’s high press. It’s up to Liverpool to try and take advantage.
- Wow, wow, Firmino denied a perfect header for his first goal of the season by Ryan. The chance was assisted by Robertson with a great cross in.
- And now Trent Alexander-Arnold crashes a free kick against the crossbar. 15 minutes in, and Liverpool could have realistically scored three times. I’ll just take one right now though.
- GOAL!!!! Salah 22’ - As predicted, Liverpool’s high pressing is Brighton’s undoing. Brighton player gets dispossessed by James “the machine” Milner. From there, it’s Mané to Firmino to Salah to the corner of Mat Ryan’s net, just as God intended.
- Andy Robertson has been magnificent in this half. What a talent.
- Everything is running perfectly for Liverpool except the final product. Brighton don’t look likely to score, but I still wish Liverpool would get that second goal just for my sake.
- HALFTIME THOUGHT: Some gorgeous football in that first half that really deserved more than the one goal that it’s yielded. But Brighton have 45 minutes of defending the Kop end, so hopefully we get more goals in the second half.
- Second half begins much the same as the first half ended. Liverpool are playing well but can’t seem to get that final product. Still fun to watch, but some goals would definitely make things better. Their final third passing has been unimpressive and frustrating. The front three haven’t yet “clicked” back to their form from last season, and it makes one very happy for our newly-steady defense.
- James Milner got absolutely clattered by Balogun, who is lucky to only get a yellow there.
- It’s Captain Hendo on for Naby Keïta, who has done well again today.
- Alisson once again showing that cold blood in the 67th minute when he collects a back pass from van Dijk and moves it on under pressure. I almost had a heart attack and I was just sitting on my couch.
- This game is calling out for a bit of a shake up in attack. Hopefully we’ll see Sturridge or Shaqiri come on in the final 15 minutes.
- Seems Klopp had the same thought, because Sturridge is getting ready to come on for Mané, who hasn’t had the best game by his high standards.
- Tremendous save by Alisson in the 88th minute to deny Brighton the equalizer. What is this feeling of calm I have when someone is attacking Liverpool’s goal? I don’t have any experience with this particular emotion, can someone explain it to me?
- FINAL WHISTLE THOUGHT: Happy end of summer: Liverpool won their first three and didn’t concede a single goal in August. That felt closer than it should have, but the defense once again got the job done.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.