Liverpool 4 - 0 West Ham
Liverpool: Salah 19’, Mane 45+2’ & 53’, Sturridge 88’
- Pre-Match Thought: It’s here, it’s finally time! The beginning of a long, at time frustrating, at times joyous season. All the preseason work has led up to this moment and we’ve made our squad almost as strong as possible over the summer. Time to prove that we’re in the conversation for the title, and that starts against West Ham, today. GET PUMPED. Also Joe Gomez is in center defense today because Lovren did Lovren things and that’s a whole other level of exciting.
- And we’re off! James Milner leading the Reds today with his punk rock headband to protect those fifteen stitches from last weekend, and Mark Noble is still kicking around for West Ham so nice to see things don’t change.
- First decent chance of the match comes up at seven minutes, when Salah and Mane get through a couple defenders to set up Roberto Firmino, only to have the effort smothered by Fabianski.
- This game has started pretty subdued for all the excitement building up around it. There’s been a lot of passing and a couple missed chances but it’s been pretty even.
- Oh god we’re only 17 minutes in???
- GOAL!! WHO ELSE BUT SALAH TO GET THE FIRST OF THE CAMPAIGN! Set up by Këita and assisted by Andy Robertson, it was a picture of perfection and the best way to open up this match.
- ALMOST! Liverpool win a free kick after Mark Noble tries to split Bobby in half and Trent Alexander-Arnold sends in a belter that is just BARELY saved by West Ham’s keeper that isn’t Joe Hart (because he’s at Burnley now!)
- Anthony Taylor, everyone.
- Joe Gomez practically sacrificed himself right there to block a cross from a West Ham player, holy toledo.
- Oh my gooood, another chance after some gorgeous build up involving Këita to set up Bobby and Mo that was saved by Fabianski. Unluckyyyy.
- GOAL! OUR NEW NUMBER TEN SADIO MANE MAKES IT TWO just before the end of the half!
- Halftime: I’d like to say Liverpool had been dominating most of the time but West Ham are certainly giving us a run for our money today. If Fabianski weren’t so dead set on helping his team, we might have a few more but unfortunately for us he’s decent at his job today.
- We’re back! No changes made for the Reds but with our bench looking like THAT today, expect some to come later in the half.
- GOAL! And that makes three! Sadio Mane just turns and barely makes it (could be dodgy but we deserve it) but that’s two for our new number 10!
- This is a feeling Pellegrini knows well, losing 3-0 to us, right?
- Dirty foul by Balbuena on Mane wins Liverpool another free kick in a sweet spot but James Milner takes it short - then he and Salah proceed to bean a couple West Ham players in the babymakers.
- Klopp makes his first change at just around 69 minutes, bringing on captain Jordan Henderson for Bobby! Nice.
- Just a couple barely missed chances in these ten minutes but Reds are feeling hungry, and Xherdan Shaqiri coming on for Mane just proves it. Powercube gonna do powercube things.
- Been really impressed by Alisson this match. His quick decisions and distribution have been a nice comfort.
- Klopp’s last change comes at 86 minutes, with Daniel Sturridge coming on for Salah.
- AND HE SCORES LESS THAN TWO MINUTES AFTER COMING ON! DANIEL STURRIDGE BRINGING HIS DANCE MOVES BACK TO ANFIELD!
- Final Whistle: What a showing. What a way to start the season. This feels good.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.