Real Madrid 3 Benzema 51’, Bale 64’, 82’
Liverpool 1 Mane 54’
- PRE-MATCH: I’m going to throw up. I know I’ve said that before as a joke or whatever, but this time I’m serious. I am going to throw up.
- In other news, the scuttlebutt was wrong, and Bale starts on the bench, which points towards Zidane preferring a 4-D-2. Crossing all my fingers that this works out in our favor.
- Immediate pressing from Liverpool as the whistle blows. They’re clearly looking get a jump on Madrid early. Yes, yes, why don’t we do that.
- Salah earns a free kick in a good position, but Liverpool try to get fancy, and Modric knocks it away.
- We were about a half-step away from seeing Trent Alexander-Arnold score in a Champions League final, and therefore about a half-step away from my early death. Would have been worth it.
- Liverpool look sharp, and they’re pressing Madrid within an inch of their lives but can’t seem to capitalize on it. And as i say that, Trent forces a save out of Navas in the 22nd minute. Me oh my. JUST SCORE, LIVERPOOL!
- Mohamed Salah down and holding his shoulder. I NEED AIR. WHY IS THERE NO AIR.
- Mo tries to come back on the pitch and goes back off in tears. KILL THEM. DESTROY THEM.
- And a mere moments later, Carvajal goes off crying and clutching his hamstring. Jesus, this got depressing fast.
- Karius makes a crazy save, Benzema gets the rebound but it’s offside. I can’t stop making weird sounds with my mouth.
- HALFTIME: I remember when I thought this was going to be enjoyable. I just want REVENGE. Let’s regroup at halftime and start again.
- Real Madrid start off strong. Trent needlessly gives away possession and nearly pays for it as Isco smashes a shot off of the crossbar. I’m not seeing straight anymore.
- Goal - Benzema 51’ - I have no words for what just happened. I have no words.
- GOAL!!!!!!!!!!! Mane - 54’ - MANE HELPS MAKE THINGS RIGHT. HE GETS THE FIRST TOUCH ON A REBOUND AND THEY’RE ALL SQUARE AGAIN.
- And here comes Gareth Bale on in he 60th minute. I’m dutifully reporting from behind my couch.
- Goal - Bale 63’ - yup, there you go. Bale with a goddamn overhead kick. No stopping that. It was a gorgeous goal, fair play.
- Mané almost gets another one, but his long range effort clips the post.
- Goal - Bale 84’ - I feel nothing but pity here for Loris Karius, who has put in a performance that will give him nightmares for years to come.
- FINAL: It was a fun ride. I hope Salah is ok. Sergio Ramos is a snake. That one hurt. A lot.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.