West Brom 2 Livermore 78’, Rondon 88’ Liverpool 2 Ings 4’, Salah 72’
- PRE-MATCH: Salah starts, to potentially reach the 31 goal milestone today, but there’s three changes in the defense. Nice that saying that doesn’t fill me with dread the way it would have in the past.
- GOAL!!!! Ings 4’ - It starts early with Ings scoring after slotting in a pass from Mané at very close range. It’s his first goal since the last game against Everton that was Rodgers’s final match with the club. Very, very pleased for him.
- Liverpool continue to look promising, but it appears that someone finally told the West Brom players that relegation is a thing, and they’re pushing forward.
- Karius deals with a tame shot on target. Easy to manage, but West Brom continue to put up more of a fight than Bournemouth last week.
- West Brom gets four corners in a row, applying some serious pressure, but they fail to score and finally the ball goes out for a goal kick. The ball is quickly given away by Karius, and once again Liverpool are on the defensive. This doesn’t bode well for my desire to see Salah score before halftime.
- My oh my, Ings nearly gets a second, but Ben Foster manages a lovely close-range save, just sliding his body in the way. It’s a reminder of how Liverpool only need a moment to create something brilliant.
- HALFTIME: West Brom looked dangerous, but it’s Danny Ings that got the breakthrough at after only four minutes.
- Both teams look lively at the restart with the difference still only one goal.
- Grateful for Ings’s goal, because he is not getting any calls from this referee otherwise. Probably should have had a penalty, and he’s getting knocked around by the West Brom players all over the pitch with impunity. That is infuriating, but Ings seems to be taking in good stride.
- Mané and Ings make way for Firmino and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the 66’ with the game still hanging in the balance. Ings may not be up for the full 90’, especially after the beating he got today. He put in a good shift though, and I’m glad he got his goal.
- GOAL!!!! Salah 72’!!!! - Mo Salah non-nonchalantly matches the 38-game season goalscoring record of 31 goals with a lovely chip over the keeper to make it 2-0. That’s 41 goals this season in all competitions. What a player. Hell, there’s still 20 minutes left, maybe we’ll see him break the record today.
- Worth noting that was another assist from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. What a terrific pair of players Klopp picked up this summer.
- goal - Livermore 78’ - A scramble in the box leads to Livermore slotting it past Karius and ruining Liverpool’s clean sheet. It’s going to be game on for the last ten minutes of this game.
- Off goes Salah in the 83rd minute, being replaced by bestie Dejan Lovren. Liverpool look to solidify their defense and protect their lead in the last few minutes.
- goal - Rondon 88’ - Looks like Klopp’s plan wasn’t good enough, as West Brom score the equalizer from a free kick in the 88th minute.
- FINAL: I’m not one to blame the ref, but that was awful. Aside from that, West Brom were desperate and Liverpool never pulled themselves out of second gear. That said, save it for Tuesday, boys. Salah got his goal, Liverpool got a point, we’re back here in 72 hours.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.