Mighty Reds: Origi 90+6
- Pre-match Thought: With captain Jordan Henderson out from suspension, Klopp elects to go with Fabinho and Gini in a 4-2-3-1. Hopefully Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah can do what they’ve both done before: put the Blues to the sword. These are always tense affairs that occasionally boil over, but hopefully the lads can keep their heads and secure all three points over their local foes.
- Jordan Pickford not only has T-rex arms, but also shanks the fuck out of clearances, too. This time to give Liverpool an early corner.
- Liverpool survive an early scare when the linesman wrongly allows a shot from an offside position to stand, but the headed effort goes just wide of the far post.
- Apparently Pickford is allowed to use his hands on a back pass. A typically bang-up job by these Premier League refs in the early going.
- Despite the early scare, Liverpool are pressing and attacking with a verve rarely seen this season...and while I’m typing this Mane skies a fantastic opportunity. Got to make this period of dominance count, especially after the early scare.
- Everton players throwing themselves to the ground in the box. Shocking it didn’t work again this time. Honestly, should have been a yellow for simulation on Richarlison.
- JOE GOMEZ you LEGEND. Loses his mark in the box, but recovers in time to make an off-the-line clearance.
- Despite Liverpool’s early dominance (and big chances created), it takes a 29th minute Roberto Firmino effort from outside the box to record Liverpool’s first shot on target.
- Shaqiri goes into the book for a “professional foul” to prevent an Everton breakaway...and then immediately follows it up with the best chance created so far, but he cannot beat Pickford with the low shot (pro-tip: go high).
- Halftime Thought: An eventful, though ultimately fruitless, first half ends with the sides knotted at zeroes. The Ev are proving far more dangerous than they have in recent seasons, and could easily be ahead were it not for last-ditch heroics by Alisson and Gomez. However, Liverpool have looked the more dangerous side over all, which hopefully bodes well for the second half. Everton have struggled to deal with Mane and Salah’s pace, which the home side should look to exploit more in the second half.
- This is too much. I’m switching from beer to whisky.
- A Mo Salah shot from range leaves Pickford flapping, but it goes just wide. With normal-sized arms that would have been turned out for a corner.
- A brilliant turn and pass from Firmino sets Mane free into the box, but he can’t turn his shot on target.
- Salah appeared to be played through onside, but was blown offside by, at most, half a millimeter. Starting to feel like one of those days.
- 70 minutes on, and Klopp makes his first change, bringing Naby Keita on for Shaq. I said this on Wednesday, but it remains true: it would be a great time to score your first goal for Liverpool, Naby.
- Salah gets elbowed in the head in the box. Play on. Immediately followed by a soft foul against Liverpool just outside the box, because of course.
- Sturridge comes on for Salah. Come on, Danny, you can do this.
- Fabinho goes into the book for an accumulation of fouls. It’s deserved.
- Gomez goes into the book for a “professional foul.”
- Firmino makes way for...Divock Origi? We’re officially in kitchen sink/hail Mary territory here.
- ...and Origi hits the woodwork from about two yards. And then Everton appear to handle in the box. Penalty? You must be havin’ a laugh.
- GOAL!!!!!! Holy forking shirtballs! DIVOCK ORIGI SCORES AT THE DEATH WITH THE MOST CRAP GOAL TO EVER BE SCORED IN A DERBY! A POOR VOLLEY BY VAN DIJK HITS THE TOP OF THE CROSSBAR, AND A FLAPPING PICKFORD CANNOT PREVENT THE BALL FROM FALLING TO ORIGI WHO HEADS IT HOME!
- Final Whistle Thought: Football is the worst and derbies are the worst. Until they’re not. Goodnight.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.