Arsenal: Lacazette 81’
Liverpool: Milner 61’
- PRE-MATCH: Shaqiri starts on the bench in favor of a three-man midfield of Fabinho, Wijnaldum, and Milner. They’re also wearing their purple third kits. Make of that what you will.
- Arsenal are starting brightly here. Liverpool get off easily when they get the benefit of the doubt on an offside decision.
- Took the first five minutes, but Liverpool are finally working their way into the game. They earn the first corner of the game, though it comes to nothing.
- Arsenal get the first chance of the game after about 14 minutes, with Gomez barely getting a touch on a strike from Aubameyang to send it out for a corner.
- Mané has a goal (unfairly!!) called offside after he taps in Firmino’s attempt that hits the woodwork, but that’s much better from Liverpool.
- ahhhhhh Van Dijk somehow misses from point blank range and then fails to convert the rebound. That should have been a goal.
- This game is extremely frustrating, and Liverpool look like they can use some fresh legs. Fabinho is not doing well, our midfield looks slow and bloodless in general, and our defense is the only thing saving us at the moment.
- Liverpool hit the woodwork again. Arsenal look confident, but it’s Liverpool with all the close calls here. They can’t seem to make one stick.
- HALFTIME: Looking forward to a little referee compensation for that incorrectly offside goal in the second half. Also looking forward to Liverpool making some early substitutions.
- Fabinho picks up a yellow card. It’s just not his day today. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see him get the hook in the next ten minutes.
- Andy Robertson feels the same way about Andre Marriner as we do.
- GOALLLLLLL! MILNER 61’ - It’s Milner scoring from open play! Liverpool break on the counter after a good spell from the Gunners. The goalkeeper does a bad job pushing away Mané’s resulting shot, and Milner drills home the rebound, low and fast, past Leno.
- Arsenal immediately try to respond, but Alisson saves the resulting shot on the other end.
- Gomez and Milner go down in a clash of heads. Gomez pops right back up, but it looks as though the goalscorer caught the brunt of it, coming away with a bloody nose.
- Another counterattack nearly gives Liverpool a second, but Salah’s cross while running at full pelt barely misses Mané’s toe.
- Virgil van Dijk badly wants a goal. He gets his head to Salah’s corner, but it’s saved by Leno.
- Reeeeeallly wish Liverpool would score another goal here to help my breathing.
- Shaqiri comes on for Roberto Firmino in the 80th minute. This is Liverpool’s first change in the game.
- goal :( Lacazette 81’ - Alisson overcommits and allows Lacazette to put a curler at a nearly impossible angle into his far corner. COME ON, SHAQ, DO YOUR THING.
- FINAL: What a weird, frustrating game.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.