Paris Saint-Germain 2 - 1 Liverpool Football Club
PSG: Juan Bernat 13’, Neymar 37’
LFC: Milner (Pen) 45+2’
- Pre-match Thought: It appears that Kloppo is reverting back to a 4-3-3, with James Milner in for Xherdan Shaqiri, and Joe Gomez coming in for Trent Alexander-Arnold. I hope we don’t need a free kick from a promising area tonight. The math is simple for Liverpool: win and they’re through to the next round. Added bonus: Neymar tears. So. Please do that. You know, win. Plus, you know, Neymar tears.
- Alisson called into action early with a dipping volley hit by Di Maria from outside the box. Liverpool then get rather fortunate with an erroneous offside call on the ensuing corner. Nervy start in Paris, this.
- Goal. And you could feel it was coming. Liverpool could hardly get a foot on it in the opening 15. A poor clearance by Virgil Van Dijk leads to a good chance for the home side.
- With 27 minutes gone, Liverpool have finally started working their way back into the match the last few minutes, though they really haven’t created any chances of substance. The visitors are probably lucky to be down just a goal after that opening salvo, and hopefully they can work their way back from here.
- Alisson comes up big again, this time cutting out a cross at the last second, preventing a sure goal. Liverpool have gained a foothold, but PSG remain deadly on the counter.
- Gomez goes into the book for, honestly, a pretty weak pull back against Neymar. Especially weak compared to Verratti attempting to break Big Joe’s ankles about 10 minutes ago.
- Goal. A lightening quick 1-2 with Mbappe and Neymar sees the former breaking at pace down the wing. Mbappe squares to Cavani, whose first time effort is saved by Alisson, but Neymar pokes home the rebound. 2-0, and Liverpool are in trouble.
- Penalty! Mane wins the ball back with pressing in the midfield and goes alone before getting CLEANED OUT at the edge of the area by Di Maria. The ref originally points to the corner flag, but the goal line assistant (correctly) gives it. Amazing what extra eyes can do.
- GOAL! Liverpool pull one back just before the break. Milner steps up and sends Buffon the wrong way.
- Halftime Thought: So far the match is playing out exactly as it did in Anfield, only (unfortunately) in reverse. Milner’s penalty was the first shot registered on target for the Reds. Although Liverpool managed to recover from a terrible opening 20 minutes, they both couldn’t create much going forward and were punished on the counter.
- PSG nearly regain their 2-goal cushion, but the goal from the set play is chalked off for offside.
- Liverpool have stepped up their second half pressing game, creating a few half-chances so far. The momentum has definitely turned as the visitors look for an equalizer, but will it be enough?
- Klopp makes his first change, with Naby Keita coming on for Georginio Wijnaldum. Naby hasn’t quite hit the heights we’d hoped so far this campaign. Tonight would be a good time to make his mark.
- If Liverpool get anything out of tonight, Alisson will be a big part of the story. The Brazilian #1 just came up with yet another big save, this time from a free header on a corner.
- Daniel Sturridge comes on with about 20 to go, replacing Bobby Firmino. You’re the best of all the Brazilians, Bobby, but we really could have used a goal out of you tonight.
- Verratti should have just walked for his hold on Keita. But whatevs.
- Shaqiri on for Milner. Give ‘em hell, Shaq.
- Sturridge gets booked for the most professional of fouls, and Robbo manages to keep up with Mbappe, putting him off his shot. Even in dark times, heroes emerge.
- As the minutes wind down, it looks like both sides have thrown their best punches. Ours haven’t landed. Theirs have.
- Robbo puts a well-deserved boot through Neymar. Normally on TLO we don’t condone that sort of behavior but...
- Final Whistle Thought: Liverpool’s terrible European away from continues. A better (though still not great) second half wasn’t enough to undo the damage of the first half. Liverpool face a do-or-die European night at Anfield against Napoli, likely needing to win by multiple goals to get through to the knockouts.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.