clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

A Narrow Defeat For Liverpool Women By Bristol City

Story of their season, really.

Liverpool FC Women v Reading - WSL
Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images

After a brief break last week it’s time for another week of misery, featuring the Liverpool Women!

Okay, that’s unfair. We all knew going into this year that it was going to be rough - rebuild years always are and clearly the club cares more about paying off the departing Premier League leader than investing in the Women’s team. Lots of hard pills to swallow lately.

So it should come as no surprise to learn that the Liverpool Women returned to action on Saturday afternoon, traveling to visit Bristol City Women, and suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat.

All the excitement happened within the first half, with both sides starting aggressively, Bristol taking a lot of their possession down the left channel. Ella Rutherford, had a scary chance about 13 minutes on that was thankfully blocked by Satara Murray, resulting in a corner for Bristol that was headed away by Niamh Fahey.

Lucy Graham would be the one to do the damage first for the hosts, heading in a shot from a piece four minutes after Rutherford’s failed attempt. From there it became a scramble and the Reds weren’t able to get their heads back on in time, because five minutes later Rutherford herself doubled the host’s lead off a rebound from Anke Preuss’ save.

That second goal seemed to be the shock the women needed to get back into it, as they did well from there out to fight back. They had two chances back to back around the 29th minute, with Fahey’s header going just barely wide and Rinsola Babajide’s corner swept out cleanly by Bristol.

Fahey went close once again from a set piece, very nearly putting the Reds on the board but her effort is saved from just off the line in spectacular fashion by Bristol keeper Sophie Baggaley.

Thankfully, it all came together just nine minutes before the half, as Laura Coombs’ cross from the right went practically unnoticed and Courtney Sweetman-Kirk was in the right spot to put the ball into the empty net, thankfully halving the lead.

The second half started with Liverpool more focused, determined to get something of the afternoon. The defense was better organized as they came under a bit of pressure early on, with Carla Humphrey getting a shot in that was comfortably saved by Preuss. From there it was a true battle, with Jess Clarke winning a corner and Baggaley saving the effort from Leandra Little.

Laura Coombs very nearly found an equalizer with a rocket from 40 yards out that was somehow miraculously palmed away by Baggaley to keep Bristol in the lead. The best chance of the second half came at just around ten minutes from the end, when Sweetman-Kirk gathered a cross from Babajide with her back to the goal and swept a defender for a close effort shot, only to have it Baggaley instantly block it and maintain their lead.

A tough afternoon for Liverpool Women and not without their best efforts. The Reds currently sit seventh on their table so it could be worse. They could be Everton.

The Red Women are back in action next Sunday, November 25th against Birmingham City at Prenton Park.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Liverpool Offside Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Liverpool FC news from Liverpool Offside