Huddersfield Town 0:
Liverpool 3: Can 26’, Firmino 45+1’, Salah (P) 78’
- Pre-match Thought: OK, Reds, just win a fucking game of footy, yeah? Jordan Henderson, Emre Can, and James Milner make up Liverpool’s midfield and I almost fell asleep from just writing that sentence. Anything less than a win today, and Liverpool fans will be in full-on meltdown mode.
- Roberto Firmino very nearly plays in Sadio Mane, but as has been the case far too often this season, the Senegalese international’s first touch let him down, and the promising attack ended with a weak effort from distance.
- Fifteen minutes gone, and Liverpool look methodical and lost for ideas going forward. Huddersfield have offered little on the counter, but that means very little with this defense.
- Close! And as I speak, Huddersfield create a great chance off a dangerous cross into the box. And wouldn’t you know it, Loris Karius saved a damned shot on target. Bravo!
- Since the home side’s wake up call Liverpool have come alive, pinging the ball around with a bit more pace and direction. Still having trouble creating clear chances against Huddersfield...and...
- GOAL! Emre Can latches onto a loose ball just outside the box, and fires a first time strike that finds the back of the net after a kind deflection. 1-0 to the Reds!
- Mane gives away a free kick in a dangerous spot, just outside the box, but the curling direct attempt goes just wide of the far post.
- GOAL!! Firmino doubles Liverpool’s lead just before the break! Mane plays him in with a 1-2, and Bobby finishes from an impossibly tight angle, beating the ‘keeper near post with an inch-perfect shot.
- Halftime Thought: Always nice to score just before the half! Liverpool haven’t been at their best, but this match was never going to produce a free-flowing affair. While their defense will always keep opponents in the match, Huddersfield haven’t shown much to really worry the visitors.
- After a boring first 10 or so minutes of the second half, Can picks out Mane in the box with a fantastic cross, but Sadio’s header can’t beat the Huddersfield goalkeeper.
- Milner looks to get into the action with a strike from distance, but it is hit directly at the ‘keeper, who palms it over the bar. The Reds still on the front foot as the clock strikes the hour mark.
- Liverpool have really turned up the heat in their pressing as the second half wears on. Huddersfield can hardly string together three passes at the moment.
- Close! Another great combo by Can and Mane, but once again Mane cannot score from his free header in the box.
- Penalty: Moments after Huddersfield are denied a penalty, Emre Can wins one for the Reds.
- GOAL!!! Mohamed Salah steps to spot, sends the goalkeeper the wrong way, and Liverpool have their third.
- No surprise, but Kloppo leaves the substitutions to late. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Georginio Wijnaldum come on, replacing Salah and Henderson in the 83rd minute.
- Klopp makes his final substitution, with Firmino making way for Dominic Solanke.
- Final Whistle Thought: The 3-0 result, matching the reverse fixture that kicked off Liverpool’s 18-game unbeaten run, was exactly what this side needed. Next up: Spurs. Up the Reds.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.