Liverpool 2 Firmino 5’, Salah 78’ West Brom 3 Rodriguez 6’, 11’, Matip (OG) 45+2’
- PRE-MATCH: As expected, Klopp has fielded a very strong side to take on West Brom. Big news is that Alberto Moreno has returned to the side after his injury spell.
- Liverpool start off strong, attacking and pressing, with Mané seeing plenty of the ball in these opening stages.
- GOAL!! 5’ - Firmino - An error in judgment leads to Jonny Evans allowing the ball to run past him and get picked up by a speedy Mohamed Salah. Salah’s shot is blocked, but Firmino is first to the rebound and lofts it in over the keeper’s head.
- goal - 6’ - Rodriguez - Less than a minute later, West Brom make it level on the other end. Rodriguez skates around the defense and slots an excellent strike past Mignolet.
- goal - 11’ - Rodriguez - Jay Rodriguez makes it a brace in just over 10 minutes. What in the hell is going on at the back for Liverpool?
- Good lord, what am I watching? Our defense is a mess, captain Emre Can looks terrible. Every man in red on the pitch needs to calm the hell down.
- West Brom have had a goal disallowed thanks to VAR. That’s an interesting way to make history for Liverpool. They got very, very lucky.
- And only a few minutes later, Andre Marriner, the video assisted referee, awards Liverpool a penalty that Craig Pawson would have otherwise ignored. Firmino promptly smashes it against the bar. I feel like I can’t even remember the last time Liverpool scored one.
- This is wild, man.
- Only four minutes of added time. I think some kinks need to be ironed out with this system. But overall, I’m for it.
- goal - Matip OG 45+2’ - I feel like I’m drunk watching this game. Whaaaat is going on? How have Liverpool not scored like five goals? How are they behind by two right now? How is there only four minutes of added time? How is anything happening the way that it is?
- HALFTIME: I need a drink. I don’t know, man. What do you think of VAR?
- Nearly two minutes into the second half and Liverpool once again escape further disaster when a goal is called offside for West Brom. Mignolet is not successfully making a case for a return to the number one position. His botched clearance attempt is painful to watch.
- Can, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Mané all came off for the English power trio of James Milner, Jordan Henderson, and Danny Ings. At least we get to avoid seeing Can go off with a red card. Lordy me, this game is a farce.
- I’m getting some wine.
- GOAL!! 78’ - Salah - It takes Mo Salah to get Liverpool back into this game. After several half chances, Salah takes advantage of a lucky deflection of an Alexander-Arnold cross off of Firmino that sends the ball right to his feet. He slides the ball into the corner for Liverpool’s second of the game.
- FINAL: Liverpool did not deserve to win that game. The midfield was useless, the defense a mess. Klopp has got three days to sort it out.
We’ll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today’s game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven’t already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we’ll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.