Leicester City 2 Okazaki 45+3’, Vardy 69’ Liverpool 3 Salah 14’, Coutinho 22’, Henderson 76’
- PRE-MATCH: Liverpool start with a front three of Salah, Firmino, and Coutinho for the first time. Gives me hope seeing Firmino back in the middle.
- Liverpool start well, but it’s Leicester who have the first real chance after Lovren plays Vardy onside for a swift counterattack. Mignolet blocks the shot and the rebound goes high over the goal.
- Leicester are really looking to test Liverpool’s defense on the break in the opening minutes of the game.
- SO CLOSE! After some fantastic build up play, Emre Can hits the post from about 25-yards out. The rebound lands on Salah’s feet, but he puts it wide. Should have been a goal.
- GOAL!! Salah 14’ - Right after that close call, Liverpool attack again and this time don’t disappoint. Coutinho hangs a gorgeous cross to Salah who heads it home.
- In case you got too excited, on the other end, Mignolet gives the ball away in his 18 yard box and Liverpool are very, very lucky that the resulting shot goes wide. WHY ARE THEY LIKE THIS?
- GOAL!!! Coutinho 22’ - Moreno gets taken down just outside the box. Coutinho hits an inch perfect free kick to beat Schmeichel and notch Liverpool’s second of the night.
- Leicester City have a goal disallowed for offside in the 38th minute. Credit where it’s due, the defenders did well to play Leicester’s attackers offside.
- Goal - Okazaki 45+3’ - Vardy dives for a free kick, dutifully given. The resulting shot is saved for a corner, which is then tapped in after Mignolet badly misjudges the ball’s trajectory.
- HALFTIME: Deep breaths. It was a bad time to concede, and in really shitty circumstances I hate Jamie Vardy so much keep it professional come on Steph — but Liverpool have been running this show in the first half. Hopefully they keep up the pressure for the last 45.
- The second half begins with Leicester full of renewed vigor in the wake of their late goal. Liverpool looked a bit desperate in defense.
- I’m not one to usually bellyache about the refereeing, but this has been abject. Dejan Lovren gets a yellow card for dissent after being held down for not one, but two corners in rapid succession. Yikes. That was one stonewall pen for Liverpool, and maybe two.
- A long spell of Liverpool dominance ends when Firmino lofts a strike high over the bar and into the stands.
- GOAL!!!! Henderson 67’ - After some scary moments on one end, Liverpool break in numbers. Sturridge leads the charge with Salah and Henderson alongside him. Salah pulls two defenders away, leaving Hendo open and able to slide it into the goal.
- Goal - Vardy 69’ - I hate him so much hold it together Steph Vardy puts in a rebound after Mignolet makes a save.
- Penalty - Vardy picks up a penalty when Mignolet is said to have fouled him on the break this is some bs I just hate him so muc— ahh, Mignolet SAVES when Vardy puts it right down the middle!!! That was so beautiful. That is the best thing that will happen to me all day.
- FINAL: Oh thank god, what in the heck did I just watch?
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.