Liverpool 1 Mané 73’ Crystal Palace 0
- PRE-MATCH: It’s a heavily rotated side that’s set to take on Crystal Palace today. Looks like Klopp’s got an eye towards player fitness and the Hoffenheim match on Tuesday. Crystal Palace is always, always a tough team for us, so hopefully this decision doesn’t come back to bite Klopp.
- Early in the match, Liverpool have had the bulk of the possession without much penetration.
- Milner concedes a free kick in the 8th minute in a dangerous area, but Liverpool are let off when Tomkins heads it over the bar.
- In the 14th minute, Liverpool miss a golden opportunity, with Matip heading way wide when he absolutely should have scored. This moment was followed by several close calls as Liverpool start to turn their possession into real chances. Just need to score one now, boys.
- 36 minutes in and the break through still hasn’t come. While that has been frustrating, a real highlight has been watching Andy Robertson and Joe Gomez do very well in their positions.
- It’s end to end in the 40th minute as first Firmino gets a long distance shot off that’s punched away by Hennessy, leading to a counter by Palace that sees Mignolet make his first save of the game.
- HALFTIME: Liverpool have looked good so far, except when it comes to the final product. Would like to see one or both of Salah and Can to come on in the second half and shake things up a bit.
- Frustration beginning to set in here as Liverpool continue to waste some good chances and Crystal Palace try to capitalize on the break. Neither have been successful so far.
- After an — I think? -- injury-free 60 minutes on the pitch, Daniel Sturridge has made way for Mo Salah on the pitch.
- You know things aren’t going as planned when Klopp makes two changes before he 70 minute mark. Here comes Dominic Solanke on for Gini Wijnaldum, who has not had a great game.
- GOAL! Mané 73’ - Mané pounces on a defensive error close to Palace’s goal, rushing in from the left wing and sliding it home. That was a long time coming, and welcome relief from the mounting frustration.
- It would be too much ask for Liverpool to get a second here, wouldn’t it? New boys Solanke and Robertson both make Hennessy work in his goal, but neither can find a way to score.
- FINAL: Great showing from Robertson, Gomez, and Solanke. It was a struggle, but games against Crystal Palace always are.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.