Watford 3 Okaka 8’, Doucoure 31’, Richarlison 90+3’ Liverpool 3 Mané 29’, Firmino 55’ (PEN), Salah 57’
- PRE-MATCH: That’s a very, very pacy team that Klopp has put out. I know we’re all excited about seeing that front three play together. I’m nervous about that defense though. Would love for them to prove me wrong.
- Bit of a hairy moment when Moreno got bullied off the ball in a dangerous area, but the delivery into the box is headed away to safety.
- Goal: Okaka 8’ - Some things change while others remain the same - even if given a whole summer and £150m to fix it. Liverpool concede from a corner. Okaka nods it past Mignolet into the back of the net. First set piece of the season. Welcome back, Reds.
- 20 minutes in and this match isn’t going the way I dreamed it did last night. First of all, I’m not getting a surprise debut in central midfield, which should have been my first clue, honestly. But second, because Liverpool have barely even made it into Watford’s 18 yard box, never mind actually getting a shot off.
- GOAL!! - Mané 29’ - Oh, thank heavens. That was a beautiful goal, created by Emre Can and Sadio Mané, who work together to unlock Watford’s defense and level the game. It was their first — welp, Watford just scored again.
- Goal - Doucoure 31’ - Remember back ages ago in preseason when Alberto Moreno was great? A scramble in the box sees Doucoure slot it in for Watford’s second.
- Couple of chances for Liverpool in the last 15 minutes- notably from Salah and then Mané again - but they can’t convert. The grim half ends with Liverpool trailing 2-1.
- HALF-TIME: No one is coming out of this half looking great, but the defense were the worst offenders. What happened to Good Mignolet? Can we get him back please?
- GOAL!! - Firmino 54’ - Mo Salah earns a bang on penalty when he’s brought down by Watford’s keeper. Firmino converts and Liverpool are back levvvaahhhhhhhh!
- GOAL!! - Salah 57’ - THIS is what we were hoping for when we saw that fantastic front three. They’ve all got their goals now. Firmino lofted a shot towards the far corner, and Salah came barreling in to get a toe on it and just tweak the trajectory enough to make sure it went in.
- You know the tide is changing when even Alberto Moreno gets a good shot off, a blast from outside the 18 yard box that the keeper bats away.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold swings in an excellent corner, but the shot is off the crossbar. In fact, he puts in a great free kick, which goes out for a corner. He takes the corner and Lovren nearly converts again. I am liking this. If he keeps doing well, I might just remember the order of his names without having to check first.
- Five minutes of added time about to take five years off my life.
- Goal - Richarlison 90+3’ - In literally the least surprising turn of events, Liverpool concede late on a corner.
- FINAL THOUGHT: Our defense has to get better. The transfer window isn’t closed yet. Let’s get this done.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.