Liverpool 2: Coutinho 40’, Origi 59’
Bournemouth 2: Afobe 7’, King 87’
- PRE-MATCH: Life without main man Mane begins. And things aren’t looking so hot on the defensive side of things, with Matip being replaced by Klavan. Liverpool will really need to dig deep to create chances in order to push on for the rest of the season. Come on, Reds.
- Lucas Leiva of all people nearly opens up scoring, and for Liverpool no less! The long time servant just misses a flick-on at the back post on a corner, and scores remain knotted early.
- Goal. Some nervy passing at the back gets punished. Wijnaldum hits a soft backpass to Mignolet, and Afobe cooly slots it. Fuck.
- Good response from Liverpool. Some slick passes have managed to create space behind the Bournemouth backline, and if they can continue this momentum, they should be able to find their equalizer before too long.
- Origi will be disappointed with that miss. The Belgian mishandles a flick-on at the back post from a corner, and should have done better there. Please don’t be one of those days.
- Oooof. Liverpool lucky not be down two now after—brace yourself for this shocker—disastrous set piece defending.
- GOAL! The Little Magician is back, and just when we need him the most! Origi wins a long kick from Mignolet, and the header falls to Firmino. Bobby drove with the ball in the heart of the Bournemouth—for lack of a better word—defense, and picks out Coutinho with a neat little pass. Couts tried to boot away the 1v1 chance, but managed to get the ball out from under his feet and slotted it. 1-1.
- HALFTIME: I suppose Liverpool are lucky to be leading at the half, despite having the lion’s share of both possession (73% to 27%) and shots on target (6 to 1). Still, both sides missed big chances off set pieces and the Reds were very lucky not to be two goals down early on. The attack was impressive, even without Mane, but shaky as always at the back.
- Nathaniel Clyne unleashes fury with a venemous shot from outside the box. Borus manages to get the slightest touch, just enough to tip it onto the underside of the crossbar. The ball bounces in front of goal and away. Shame, because that strike was pure class and deserving of a highlight reel goal.
- Clyne creates another chance! This time he whips in an inviting cross, but Firmino just couldn’t manage to get his head on it.
- GOAL! Wijnaldum redeems himself. The Dutch midfielder beats two defenders in the box, and dinks a perfect ball to a wide-open Divock Origi, who nods home Liverpool’s second goal. Origi, it must be noted, did well to stay onside and find just ALL the space to set up the goal.
- A bit of an odd one here. Philippe Coutinho makes way for Joel Matip, and Liverpool go to a back five (and then almost immediately concede, as they are wont to do).
- LOLovren. The defender attempts an overhead kick—which he managed to put on target!—but was blown offside. Still, get in Dejan.
- Liverpool now playing much more for the counter right now with five at the back, and I hesitate to say...it seems to be working?
- Goal. Well, never mind. That one’s on me. Sorry. Undone by a throw-in after an otherwise very good second half.
- Matip nearly heads Liverpool back in front on a corner, but it wasn’t to be.
- And now Klavan has his chance, but heads straight down the keeper’s throat, and the score remains tied.
- FINAL: Classic Liverpool performance. Dropped points after a big win. Undone by set piece defending. Missed chances. Who has bingo?
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.