West Brom 0:
- Pre-match Thought: A strong line up for Liverpool with all of the fab four making the starting XI. Loris Karius gets a surprise start, although it makes a bit of sense to keep our Champions League keeper fresh with regular-ish midweek action between now and February.
- The first quarter of an hour passes with out much of note, and then Mohamed Salah picks out Roberto Firmino with an inch-perfect cross, but the Brazilian can neither steer the shot home, nor find an open Philippe Coutinho making a late run into the box.
- West Brom go close for the first time of the night, hitting the outside of the crossbar with a long shot from outside of the box, following a sloppy give-away by Liverpool. However, it looked as though Karius had it covered, if the shot had been on target.
- Salah is nearly played in by Trent Alexander-Arnold, but the youngster’s cross is just out of the Egyptian’s reach. The ref finally feels the need to issue a warning about taking fucking forever on goalkicks immediately thereafter.
- Firmino very nearly creates the opener, working himself into a bit of space in the box and firing a low shot that is saved. Salah latches on to the rebound, but cannot turn it home. Just that sort of night so far.
- Halftime Thought: As per usual, West Brom showed up with the intention of sucking every bit of joy out of the game. So far, they’ve been successful. Liverpool have had the better of it—by far—but their bad luck in front of goal from the last team to show up in blue and white continues. However, the game was opening up a bit near the end of the first half, which should benefit the Reds as the second half wears on.
- Karius comes up with two big saves on consecutive set plays. On the first he stays alert to a cross that drifted onto the frame, and on the corner that immediately followed he saved a free header from close range.
- Liverpool getting close with two big chances in as many minutes. On the first Mane fails to find the target after a brilliant pick out from Firmino, and on the second Salah nods a header just wide of the open net.
- With twenty minutes of regular time to play, you can feel frustration and impatience building for the home side. It doesn’t bode well for a good finish.
- With fifteen to play, Klopp finally makes some changes, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Dominic Solanke on for Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum.
- Klopp makes one final sub, bringing on Joe Gomez for Alexander-Arnold.
- Disallowed goal. It’s that sort of night.
- Final Whistle Thought: Liverpool huffed and puffed, but couldn’t blow the goal down. Or something. It’s a frustrating result, doubly so after the undeserved late equalizer in the Derby.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.