Liverpool 3 Sturridge 50’, Firmino 58’, Wijnaldum 74’ Huddersfield Town 0
- PRE-MATCH: As was reported over the last few days, Mignolet and Lovren keep their places in the starting XI. I would be more angry if we had obviously superior alternatives. As it is, I am just frustrated and shaking my fist at the sky in memory of that wasted summer transfer window. Take a moment to consider the fact that Firmino and Sturridge are once again starting together, which never seems to work out well. Why doesn’t Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain see some time on the wing here instead of shunting Firmino off to the side? I guess we’ll see if it works out.
- Klavan sneaks into the starting XI at the last minute when Lovren gets an injury during the warm up. And this is what I mean about having few better options.
- Liverpool with plenty of possession, but it’s Huddersfield Town who have earned set pieces in the first ten minutes: a few corners and a dangerous free kick.
- Liverpool keeping possession in the midfield doesn’t impress me anymore. Either do something with it or gtfo.
- A few half-chances here and there, but only Salah has shown any real willingness to attack the goal.
- 42’ - Friend gives Liverpool a penalty for a shirt pull. Salah’s effort from the spot is weak and straight at the keeper and Henderson’s rebound hits the woodwork. Really should have let Milner have a go there. Hello darkness, my old friend.
- HALFTIME: I have a brunch to prepare for. Liverpool are going to have to do a lot more in the second half to keep my attention away from cooking scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes. And, uh, at least they’re not two down?
- GOAL!!! - 50’ - Sturridge - Sturridge pounces on a poor defensive header and scores to finally put Liverpool in front. Deep breath.
- The Reds seemed to have woken up in this second half, spurred on by that first goal. They’re pushing forward more, which means they’ll either score another or concede on the break. It’s 50/50 at this point.
- GOAL!! 58’ - Firmino -- Everyone’s favorite Brazilian scores from a corner to give Liverpool a second goal.
- This is more like it. Two goals up and Liverpool are looking much more like we want them to.
- GOAL!!! 74’ - Wijnaldum - The substitute Wijnaldum gets a superb solo goal, picking through the busy 18 yard box to make space for himself and rifle it home.
- FINAL: Liverpool looked reinvigorated in the second half, helped on by an early goal from Sturridge. Glad that were able to see this one out.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.