Liverpool 1: Wijnaldum 58’
Chelsea 1: Luiz 25’
- Pre-match Thoughts: Looks like Adam Lallana returns to the attacking band which has worked out so well this season. But Sadio Mané is on the bench, so Fowler willing he can come on and do some damage before the game is out of reach. Or something. Please don’t lose to Chelsea tonight, Liverpool. I need that in my life like I need a hole in my head.
- Chelsea content to sit back and defend early on. Oh. So you’ve seen us play before.
- To say Georginio Wijnaldum has been unlucky this season is a bit of an understatement. Tonight, he creates the first shot on goal, with a venomous blast from outside the box, which Courtois did well to palm away.
- Quarter of an hour gone and it’s the best football Liverpool have played in well over a month. It has been all one-way traffic for the Reds so far, and their press is on point. Now, time to turn that pressure into some damned goals for us for a change.
- Goal. Fuck. Willian appeared setting up for a free kick while Mignolet was still setting the wall and Luiz just pops up and blasts it up and over the wall. It was a fantastic shot, and one that completely caught everyone off guard. The crowd is understandably stunned, particularly after the largely positive opening (if fruitless) salvo by the Reds. It’s his first goal for Chelsea in nearly 60 appearances. Because of course.
- Halftime Thoughts: Liverpool can feel aggrieved to be behind at halftime, but the same problems from the last several weeks continue tonight. Liverpool aren’t nearly dangerous enough in attack, and every counter attack by Chelsea is heart-attack inducing. In fact, for all the possession (66-34 in Liverpool’s favor) the home side only managed a solitary shot from outside the box. Not. Good. Enough.
- Gini is quietly having a decent little game. Nothing spectacular, mind you, but probably the best player in red so far.
- Liverpool get their best chance of the night on a quick counter attack. Roberto Firmino was through on goal, but fluffed his effort, putting it high and wide.
- GOAL! GINI!!! Henderson picks out Milner’s far post run, and the makeshift leftback sends it back across the box. Chelsea fail to clear the ball, and Gini nods the ball home. All square at Anfield!
- Huge penalty shout as Moses clatters over Milner in the box, and the home side is incensed. It could be argued that Milner knew the contact was coming, and went down easily. But there was contact, and it it’s outside the box, it’s a foul.
- Sadio Mané sighting! Welcome back. We missed you. Like, a lot. The Senegalese man comes on for Philippe Coutinho. The Little Magician hasn’t been great today, but I’m surprised he’s the one making way (glares at Emre Can).
- Penalty. Diego Costa goes down in the box after the slightest touch from Matip after the defender got a slight to the ball, and Clattenburg points straight to the spot. Great.
- SAVED! Simon Mignolet guesses right, and saves the admittedly weak penalty from Costa.
- Nervy last few minutes. Pedro goes just wide on one end, and then Firmino latches onto a free header on the other, but can only send it directly at the ‘keeper.
- Final Whistle Thoughts: A better second half than first from the Reds is enough for both sides to share the spoils at Anfield. It might not be all three points, but hopefully it’s enough to change the narrative, and get Liverpool back on the right track.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.