Liverpool X Firmino 55’, 68’ Swansea City X Llorente 47’, 50’, Sigurdsson 74’
- PRE-MATCH: Clyne and Henderson get a start, but the newly freed Joel Matip still isn’t quite match fit.
- Liverpool look good as they begin, but it’s pretty clear that Swansea are going to be playing eight players behind the ball all game. Someone will have to find a way through it.
- Lots of slightly overhit crosses coming in from the left as Liverpool try to find a way to penetrate Swansea’s crowded six yard box.
- Scary moment when a shot deflects off of Lovren and hits the post, nearly opening the scoring for Swansea.
- HALFTIME: That was as mind-numbing as I feared it would be. Liverpool’s attack desperately misses Sadio Mané. On the plus side, Mignolet and the defense has looked solid.
- Goal 47’ Llorente -Liverpool continue their unimpressive 2017 by allowing Swansea the opening goal off of a corner only a few minutes after the restart.
- Goal 50’ Llorente - Well, remember what I said about the defense at halftime? Just kidding, guys. Just kidding. Llorente slices through three defenders and bags a brace off of the break.
- GOAL! Firmino 55’ - Firmino gets one back for the Reds off of a Milner cross. That was an entertaining 10 minutes. Hopefully this means that the team has woken up. Still more than half an hour to go.
- Daniel Sturridge is coming on for Coutinho, which is to be expected because Coutinho is still coming back from injury. Based on performance, though, I’d say that Can deserves to come off the most. Maybe this will be the day that Klopp takes advantage of all three of his subs.
- Klavan avoids a second yellow after a challenge on Llorente, and Matip begins warming up on the touch line.
- GOAL! 68’ Firmino - It’s Firmino again, this time he manages to get it off of a left-footed half-volley in the box. Glorious, and there’s 20 minutes to steal the three points.
- Origi replaces Can, so we get the little seen Sturridge/Origi combo now for the rest of the match.
- Goal 74’ Sigurdsson - Liverpool’s defense is easily breached once again. Regardless of the outcome of this match — and there’s still 15 minutes here — conceding three goals in this way to this dreadful Swansea City side is embarrassing and unacceptable. This has GOT to be dealt with.
- The ball plays pinball with the crossbar and goal posts before Lallana hits it well over. I think that was the big chance.
- FINAL THOUGHT - Sigh. Well. Joël Matip is back after this? And Sadio Mané will be returning soon? January has not been great.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.