Liverpool 5 Lallana 17’, Milner 29’ (pen) 70’ (pen), Mané 36’, Coutinho 51’
Hull City 1 Meyler 50’
- PRE-MATCH: No Lovren, but otherwise a really strong starting XI and bench. The team needs to win today to prove that the stinker against Burnley was an exception and not the rule when it comes to playing weaker opposition. Our own Chuck is at this game today. I believe the last two matches he attended were against Barcelona and Dortmund at home. So we can expect the Chuck Effect to be at work. Anything less than four goals scored by Liverpool will be considered a failure.
- James Milner starting strong and earning the Reds their first corner. I actually have hope that Liverpool will make something out of their set pieces again. We live in exciting times.
- Some great build up play in the first ten minutes from Liverpool. They nearly make something of it, but Coutinho can’t get enough on his toe poke to get the ball into the back of the net. In the last several games, we’ve seen this same slow turning of the screw as Liverpool work themselves into the game and gradually up the pressing and tempo until it’s unbearable for the opposing team.
- GOAL!: Lallana 17’ - The pressure pays off, and it’s Coutinho to Lallana, whose shot was perfectly placed to sneak into the corner. The Lallana Revolution continues apace.
- GOAL!: Milner 29’ (PEN) - Coutinho’s shot is blocked on the goal by Elmohamady’s hand. Elmohamady gets a red card, and Milner slots the penalty home. Oh my, the way Liverpool are pressing at the moment, Hull City are in some trouble indeed.
- Mané wants in on the action. He has two chances in quick succession. One crashes into the crossbar, the other sails over the goal.
- GOAL!: Mané 36’ - Third time’s the charm! Mané once again gets space in the center of the box and this time he slots it home. This gun’ get ugly.
- HALFTIME: Liverpool are good again. Tell your friends. Milner is on fire. Lallana — why hello there. Coutinho is like the epicenter for all good things. Mané, Mané, Mané. Has Loris Karius even touched the ball on his debut? I wouldn’t be surprised if he sent out a few Instagrams mid-game. I want to talk about players who have been good — but literally everyone has been good. If Liverpool press Hull any harder, they’ll turn ‘em into diamonds. And Can and Sturridge still haven’t come on yet. Tell me Danny won’t want in on this action...
- Goal: Meyler 50’ - Milner’s poor touch gives away a corner, which Meyler duly scores, beating Karius and sadly denying him a clean sheet.
- GOAL!: Coutinho 51’ - I didn’t even finish typing the sentence above before Liverpool stormed back down the pitch and Coutinho got one of his signature belters from well outside the box. Ahhh...the Chuck Effect lives on.
- Lallana off at 65’ for Daniel Sturridge — not a bad trick to have in your back pocket, all told.
- GOAL!: Milner 70’ (PEN) - And as if on cue, Sturridge earns a penalty with nearly his first touch of the ball in this game. Milner beats the keeper again, and that’s five.
- FINAL WHISTLE: Well, that was fun, and long may it continue. Liverpool have now scored 16 goals and picked up 13 points in their first six games of the season. Their front line looks unstoppable, and their defense is finally catching up.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.