Liverpool 6 Mané 26’ & 60’, Coutinho 30’, Can 43’, Firmino, Wijnaldum 90+1’ Watford 1 Janmaat 75’
- Pre-Match: Much is being said about how Watford has kept a clean sheet for their last three matches, but they’ve been against Hull, Swansea, and Middlesbrough so make of that what you will. Meanwhile, with Arsenal drawing against Tottenham, it leaves Liverpool the chance to take the top of the table outright with three points. No pressure, lads (no jinxes, either).
- Reds raring to go a bit too much with Michael Oliver calling for a new kick off after being unhappy with the first, which sure. Let’s do that. Set that tone.
- No change to Liverpool’s in your face approach, forcing themselves into Watford’s space enough to convince Miguel Britos a long range effort was a good idea three minutes in. (It wasn’t).
- Twenty minutes and Liverpool have had at least four chances - two of them coming from Lucas with the other two from Coutinho. Things are a bit nervy but you have to believe we’ll get one before the end of the half at this point.
- GOAL! Sadio Mané scores a header at 26’ from a corner!
- AND ANOTHER! Coutinho makes it 2-0 after slicing through defenders like butter at 30’!
- Absolutely on fire as Emre Can makes it 3-0 after a gorgeous assist from Lallana at 43’!
- Halftime: The Reds are leading 3-0 at the half with decisive possession and chances coming just as easily as the goals. This writer can’t help but get apprehensive for the next half, but our boys have absolutely controlled the match so we can only hope for much of the same.
- We’re back underway in much the same fashion, Watford with absolutely no idea how to get back into this. Liverpool look like cats playing with string, honestly. Happy to keep doing what they’re doing.
- FIRMINO MAKES IT FOUR! Another assist from Lallana leads to Firmino joining in and tapping a little one just across the line.
- HO. LY. COW. Henderson sends a perfect pass to Firmino who just gives it to Mané to make it 5-0!
- Watford had absolutely come to play today and have been cut to shreds as a result. That being said, Karius has had plenty to do and has looked more comfortable than ever today.
- And there goes the clean sheet, with Daryl Janmaat scoring for the visitors at 75’.
- Sturridge has been entirely unlucky not to score since coming on for Lallana with two different shots hitting the crossbar and keeping him from getting the sixth.
- WIJNALDUM ON THE REBOUND! Georginio Wijnaldum finally gets his first goal for Liverpool at 90’ after catching the rebound of a saved Sturridge shot!
- Post-match: Absolutely unreal, beautiful football from Liverpool today. While they’re unlucky not to get the coveted clean sheet, that could be the only complaint as every other aspect of the game was superb. Poetry in motion, indeed, as Liverpool take the top of the table and Watford go home without any points.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.