Crystal Palace 2 McArthur 18’, 33’ Liverpool 4 Can 16’, Lovren 21’, Matip 43’, Firmino 70’
- PRE-MATCH THOUGHT: Moreno gets his chance in the league. He looked good against Spurs, so hopefully he’ll play without incident. More surprising is Can re-gaining his starting spot from Gini, who has played really well alongside Henderson.
- Liverpool look bright and pacy in the first ten minutes, pressing hard and maintaining possession for long stretches.
- GOAL! Can 16’ - Moreno and Can immediately prove their worth, Moreno with a gorgeous one touch pass to the oncoming Can to slide it —
- Goal McArthur 18’ - Almost immediately after, Lovren makes a terrible mistake attempting a clearance, and serves it up on a platter for McArthur, who heads it right over Karius. That was classic, old school Lovren, someone I did not miss. Still, Liverpool look like —-
- GOAL! Lovren 21’ - I literally couldn’t finish writing the above, about how Liverpool seemed to still be on the front foot, despite the goal, when Lovren redeemed himself by scoring a header on the other end off of a corner. Good heavens.
- I need to learn to type faster to deal with this team. Wave upon wave of dangerous Liverpool attacks and smothering pressing.
- Goal McArthur 33’ - Another header from McArthur, thanks to some lax defending. This game is exhausting, and I’m just sitting here in my pajamas.
- Palace looked rejuvenated after that last goal, but Liverpool continue to push for another goal. A header from Coutinho is barely kept out of the goal, and then Mané sends one over the bar from about eight yards out.
- GOAL! Matip 43’ - HOLY SHIT. Another header off of a corner for a Liverpool center-back. Matip was wide open and took full advantage. Palace have about 90 seconds of regular time + 3 minutes stoppage time to even it up again before the break. Regarding that 3 minutes: “That could be four more goals!” Arlo White declares.
- HALF-TIME THOUGHT: Wow. I need some water. The second half can’t be like this too? Can it? I mean...CAN IT?
- Crystal Palace start out brightly, and Karius is forced into his first save of the game, against Christian Benteke.
- Mané through on goal again, and once again it’s saved by the keeper. That should be a goal. We’re not used to seeing Mané miss those so far this season.
- Liverpool’s defense is self-destructing before our eyes. Palace have a penalty shout waved away, but the Reds will be very lucky not to concede another goal. They’re just as likely to score two, though, so all may not be lost.
- GOAL! Firmino 70’ - Firmino gets played through, onside, by Henderson, and a little chip over the top of the keeper makes it 4-2. A yellow card for Firmino follows as he strips off his shirt in illegal celebration. From a legitimate penalty shout for Palace on one end to a goal for Liverpool on the other within seconds. This game.
- Adam Lallana leaves the pitch to rapturous applause from the away fans. He’s been fantastic today. Gini Wijnaldum has come on to shore up the midfield in the last 15 minutes.
- FINAL THOUGHT: This performance had shades of 2013-14 to it, down to the terrible defending and bloated score line. Still, it was a thrilling match and another three points. Liverpool get out of October like they got out of September: without losing a game.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.