Liverpool 3 Milner 2', Sturridge 59' 67'
Aston Villa 2 Gestede 66' 71'
Encouraging line up. About as good of an initial set up as one could have hoped for with a strong collection of midfielders in the side and Ings and Sturridge working together up top.
Milner! It's an immediate left-footed strike from the center midfielder from outside the box, and Liverpool are ahead after only two minutes. Beautifully taken.
Liverpool controlled the majority of the first half, and minus a couple of scares from Villa on the counter attack it's been a solid performance.
A pinpoint through ball from Coutinho sees Milner burst into a great shooting position, but Guzan keeps his effort out.
- I was about to question how it was still only 1-0 when Daniel Sturridge scores a fantastic goal, smashing a chipped through ball from Milner past Guzan. 2-0 and Brendan may live another week.
- Errr....2-1. Villa get a goal back out of nothing, as Liverpool fail to deal with a cross lobbed to the back post. Gestede is there to finish and it's game on.
- Sturridge again. A one-two with Coutinho and a cool finish to Guzan's right. He's so good.
- 3-2 as Gestede scores again. It's getting weird.
- Liverpool survive. They were in command throughout, but two defensive lapses made the match closer than it should have been. Sturridge is back in form, which could change the entire season.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.