He might not want to sign another contract, but fortunately he did sign the last one. Enjoy being underpaid by ~80-100k each week for the next two years, Raheem.
— nihil in moderato
Thank God we have the best centre half in England.
If not I would be devastated.
He’s not signing for £700, £800, £900 thousand a week.Well, you’re right about that one.
He_Drinks_Sangria: Yep, but I think he and Carra both deal with their biases in an appropriate way. Neither try to hide or deny the impact that playing for decades at LFC/United has had on them. But they both attempt to be reasoned about their analysis regardless. I also like the way that Neville, when talking about Liverpool, often begins by saying something like "Carra, you would know better than me, but I think…" and I’ve heard Carra say the same thing when he’s discussing United. Both act like top professionals the majority of the time and I always enjoy their analysis.
Charlottes Webster: I dunno, I've heard from a very reputable source that Carragher is a knob.
Aidy Ward seems bad at his job.
Elizabeth: alright, Dejan Lovren, make yourself useful
Sell your former teammate on a move to Liverpool FC.
ITStheGP: Or at least convince his mind to come here. If Dejan’s taught us anything, it’s that first the mind transfers, then heart, THEN the actual player.
A friend for Daniel Sturridge! How thoughtful!
— Amelia L
he's seven percent shy of what's expected
— Ken Mueller
smooth sailing myth busted Gary Neville.
Alright...not necessarily just meant for you, mate, but I think it's time to dust off the a bit of the Myth Busting gear on this...
Sterling is not crap. Sterling is not just an athlete that lacks a footballing brain. Sterling is not just any old player to come up from the academy. Full stops on all of that.
Now, here are some things that Raheem Sterling is:
- Decent but still a lot of untapped potential. Lots of poor decisions made, sure, but the lad has shown a propensity and desire to play – not in any one position, mind, but to fucking play anywhere. For all the shit he takes for the "steady" moment in one episode of a reality show made to drum up interest in a flagging brand, the kid has played across the attacking band in a front three, as a 10, as "traditional" winger, inverted forward, right mid in a diamond, off striker, RB and RWB. Read that again. You wanna know how many "prima donna" players take on all of those roles? I can think of more than a handful that after careful consideration from various handlers, etc. would refuse even the request from a manager with a pedigree (hello, Theo). Sterling hasn’t.
- Sterling isn’t simply an athlete. He’s shown positional poise, the ability to work space, press when needed, vision to spot a pass and attack in various areas.
- Sterling isn’t a number 9 – yet. His shot power is lacking and there might be an issue with technique. He’s also, however, not passed it – he’s only fucking 20.
There are a ton of other things I’ve taken exception to in this thread so far and, honestly, as a longtime member of TLO, I am heartily disappointed. I get it – it’s not fun to hear when a player we’re invested in is playing hardball. But c’mon…he’s been the player that most of us have been outrageously excited in. This is going to be a big, big miss for us if we aren’t able to secure him. I’ll get it – nature of the biz, etc. – but it’s really gonna sting. I’m sorry that some of you won’t be able to see that unless he’s lighting it up as a 9.5 for a side that’s got runners that will play into the channels that he fucking creates. Honestly, if we’re being real, the nucleus of Hendo, Cou, Dreem, Ibe and Sinclair are what we should be all about. I just can’t be lieve how quick we turn on our own, man.
Image of the Week
- Total commenters: 240
- Total comments: 3585
- Total recs (lenient or otherwise): 6726
- Total green comments: 452
- Welcome to all the Chelsea and Arsenal delurkers. Apologies if I missed anyone!
- Mr Sanchez has some musings about the summer.
- gostarkgo thinks Raheem Sterling totes has a valid point in all of this.
- JohnBarnesLeftThigh wants to know who Liverpool are closest to supplanting for fourth place.
If it's not on this list, what was your favourite comment (not made by you!) this week?