- Pre-match thoughts: It was an interesting starting eleven from Brendan Rodgers, who had to cope with the loss of Joe Allen to an injury suffered in training yesterday. Emre Can moved into the midfield to partner Jordan Henderson and Glen Johnson--rather than the recently fit Mamadou Sakho--started in central defense.
- Not much time to get settled before there was a very scary moment as Martin Skrtel was knocked unconscious after challenging for a header. He was clearly out, and he was motionless for far too long. Thankfully he became responsive as the medical team was attending to him, and he was stretchered off and replaced by Kolo Toure after nearly ten minutes of evaluation and treatment on the pitch.
- After play resumed it was, understandably a little stop-start. Daniel Sturridge tried to pick out Raheem Sterling with a curling ball through the middle, while Sturridge was nearly on the receiving end of a well-placed through ball from Jordan Henderson that was just a touch heavy.
- Sterling's footwork is good.
- Adam Lallana had a penalty shout denied after an excellent pass by Lazar Markovic. As Lallana wound up to take the shot, he was clattered into from behind and knocked to the ground. Absolutely no contact with the ball, and one that should have been given.
- KOLO GOLOLOLOL offside. Phooey.
- Some ugly stuff from both sides as the rest of the half played out, with Liverpool settling on the edge of the attacking third but failing to create any clear chances and Blackburn looking to break and expose some really poor defensive positioning from Liverpool's back line.
- A firm shot by Daniel Sturridge straight at Simon Eastwood was the best Liverpool could muster
- Half-time thoughts: Not great from either side and Liverpool comfortably better without any final ball. Took some time to settle in after Martin Skrtel's injury, and when they did they couldn't find a way through an organized Blackburn defense. Liverpool's own defense needs to be far better.
- Blackburn started the second half as the better side and forced Simon Mignolet into an excellent save from a corner. Sturridge did well to take down a Johnson pass over the top, but his effort was blocked before Coutinho blasted into the away end with his left foot.
- Sure booking for a nasty foul on Emre Can, but Andre Marriner is not really into that.
- He probably can do it all himself, but Can prone to overdoing it a bit today. Move to midfield hadn't paid off as of the hour.
- Another penalty shout for a tug-back on Sturridge, which Marriner obviously doesn't give because stuff and things. Initially it did look like he made a meal of it, but on replay it easily could have been given.
- KOLO GOLOLOLO post aw turds
- Mario Balotelli replaced Lazar Markovic with Adam Lallana shifting to right wingback as Liverpool continued to search for an opener. Blackburn, after starting the half so brightly, were in a shell with nearly everyone behind the ball.
- Andre Marriner. Not good!
- This match. Also not good!
- Solid hold-up play from Balotelli wins Liverpool a free-kick in a dangerous area, but Coutinho skies it. Lots of shirt-tugging in super slow-motion replays. All of which occurred in the penalty area. Super.
- Jordan Henderson tried to smash one across the face of goal after more positive play from Balotelli led to a Liverpool corner. Eastwood got to it with his feet, however, preventing Sturridge from getting on the end of it in the process.
- Cairney was lucky to only get yellow after scraping his studs on Balotelli's thigh.
- Full-time thoughts: That was not a particularly enjoyable match, and the prospect of a replay is less than thrilling. A few chances here and there, but overall one of the poorest performances in the last few weeks.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.