FC Rubin 0
Liverpool 1 Ibe 52'
- Pre-match observations: Benteke gets his first start under Klopp, with Ibe and Firmino in support. Lovren replaces Skrtel at RCB and we all pucker up a tad more than usual. Clyne continues his catch-em-all hunt for minutes. Papas and Unicorns are on the bench.
- These all white third kits are reasonably fire emoji.
- Appears to be 4231 with Milner wide left, Ibe wide right and Firmino behind Benteke.
- Michael Owen earns a nod of approval by pointing out that the media are silly to claim Sakho is bad on the ball.
- HNNGGG!!! Firmino briliantly nutmegs a defender and plays in Milner who smashed it off the bar from 6 yards!
- Period of pressure ends as Benteke lashes over from 18 yards. Could've played in Firmino there.
- Milner with clumsy foul in dangerous area. We check our bingo cards.
- Liverpol are doing a great job of winning the ball back early, sitting on 75% possession.
- The visitors putting together dangerous possession with ease, but the final ball consistently missing some accuracy.
- Goalmouth scramble in injury time as a deflected shot nearly sneaks past the goalkeeper, who palms away his own rebound juust ahead of Emre Can.
- Halftime-thoughts: A half of nearlies, as Liverpool dominate possession and generate dangerous situations, without producing more than a single clear cut chance. The home side have barely had a sniff, with 25% possession and 2 shots, none of which were anywhere near dangerous. Sakho and Lovren have been supremely comfortable as the high pressing midfield have done a great job of winning the ball back early.
- Second half starts with an Alby Moreno hammer deflected into the side netting.
- JORDON IBE GOLAZO!!! Roberto Firmino pulls the CB out of position and one-touches the ball through to an onrushing Jordon Ibe, who carries the ball to the edge of the box and buries it in the corner.
- Great chance as a poorly cleared Moreno cross falls to Milner who hammers the ball at goal. GK saves for a corner.
- Can gets kicked in the ankle and goes down theatrically. No call. Pen would've been fine but the way he goes down looks ridiculous.
- Conveyor belt of big chances now. Powerful Lovren header off a corner saved on the line by the GK.
- Ibe goes close on the counter.
- Rubin pushing people forward, leaving themselves open for counter attacks now.
- Russian commentators get super excited about Rubin doing anything at all. They also find Adam Lallana's name hilarious.
- Rubin set piece KLAXXONN miles over.
- Home team putting together some pressure, but struggling to create chances.
- Here comes Papa to lock it down!
- A FAMOUS EUROPEAN WIN ALL ABOARD THE KLOPPTIMISM TRAIN!
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.