Chelsea 1 Ramires 4'
Liverpool 3 Coutinho 48', 74', Benteke 83'
- Pre-match thoughts: BOO!! Happy Halloween. Apparently, Jose Mourinho's dad has been ill this season, which would be a totally obvious reason why things have come off the rails a bit for the Portuguese. Get well soon, Mr. Mourinho! On the pitch, Roberto Firmino leads the line, but the song remains the same everywhere else in Liverpool's lineup. We would happily pay you Tuesday for a Roberto Firmino goal today. Also, Jürgen Klopp pregame smiles, guys, heaven knows not the extent of this happiness.
- ***Goal*** Four minutes in and Cesar Azpilicueta breaks into space to write a letter about the ball he's going to play, before playing said ball onto an arriving Ramires to head home. The latter simply waltzed inside of Alberto Moreno to get to that one--you've heard this one before.
- Moreno is a shook one as Willian's delivery compounds into John Terry somehow managing to push it wide from two feet away. It could be a long day.
- So, set pieces, guys.
- We were promised that Chelsea were a jaded, brittle team there for the taking. Whatever this is, it is decidedly not that.
- First third of the game gone, and Liverpool have grown after those early errors. Moreno still looks off it, but in general the lads are competing, things are more organized, and the ball moves quickly as its passed on the deck.
- Diego Costa's hair situation is the exact opposite of Martin Skrtel's.
- Lucas just annihilated Kurt Zouma in the air, but at least there's no way that knock to the head caused any sort of brain trauma for Zouma, certainly not enough to go through any sort of concussion protocol. Nooooooope.
- Mmmmmmmmamadou Sakho.
- ***GOAL*** 48TH MINUTE PHILIPPE COUTINHO HAVE OUR BABIES. And that takes us into halftime! Great strike to cap off an entertaining game where Liverpool finally showed that fightback that Klopp's been on about. Our halftime team talk includes guava kombucha and these fresh kosher dills. We're way into fresh kosher dills these days, great for the gut health.
- There is a homeless person on Chelsea's bench yelling at Klopp--good luck with that.
- Two-thirds in and both teams have had their way, with Chelsea currently looking stronger. People baying for Milner's blood are going to have to explain what Emre Can has been doing all day, exactly. It does feel a fair, full blooded affair with wins and losses all across the pitch in the individual match ups.
- Milner to Lucas, not exactly the counterattacking combination to strike fear into opposition hearts.
- For the second week in a row, Klopp calls upon £32.5m of attacking beast mode for his first substitution in Christian Benteke. Milner comes off, and here's hoping Tekkers is able to make a similar impact as he made last week.
- Hey guys, did you hear that Chelsea youngster Kenedy is large? He is so large, in fact, that the announcers liken his body to that of a builder's. Not a body of a bodybuilder, mind you, but the body of a builder. Like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, we guess. It is confusing.
- That Diego Costa isn't half a prat.
- Cesc warming up to come on, and he really puts the ab in Fabregas, innit.
- Moreno makes a repayment on what he owes by nipping out Willian's counter.
- Holy Crap Oscar. And the indignity of the Arlo White referencing Charlie Adam--HOW DARE YOU, SIR.
- ***GOAL*** 74TH MINUTE PHILIPPE COUTINHO. You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! Never go for Coutinho's left foot, when his right is still fully functional!
- Moreno tries to replicate his first ever goal in Red with that lung buster down the left. Welcome back, Bertie Brown.
- Ebay on for Firmino, and the Brazilian quietly had a real nice day at the office.
- ***GOAL*** 83RD MINUTE BENTEKE!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
- You'll Never Walk Alone rings in the win for the Reds at the Bridge. What a day!!!
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.