Liverpool 1: Clyne 17'
- Pre-match thoughts: Klopp makes NINE changes to the line-up, showing just how much he deeply cares about this
throwawayhugely important competition. In the process, he managed to dust off Joao Carlos Teixeira, who had been tucked away in a cellar beneath Anfield. He had to go down there with a torch as the lights had gone out. So had the stairs.
- Firmino gets off a shot within the first 20 seconds. More of this please.
- Lots of space on both ends in the early going. Allen has his pocket picked which leads to a great early chance for Bournemouth. Thankfully, Bogdan was up to the challenge.
- Clyne!!! Opens up his Liverpool account with a well-taken goal after some brilliant build-up play. Origi broke at pace, played it to Firmino, who played Teixeira through. Teixeira nearly scores on the cheekiest of backheels, only to be cleared off the line before Clyne put it away for good. The attack was, dare I say, "cool." 1-0 to the Scousers!
- The League Cup claims another victim. Kolo Toure limps off after half an hour with an apparent hamstring injury. Defender and part-time pirate Martin Skrtel comes on.
- Halftime: Liverpool showed a few brilliant flashes on one end, and a bit of luck not to concede on the other. Both sides have 6 shots, 4 on target. Liverpool probably need to score 1 or 2 more to ensure victory (especially with Lovren roaming the pitch), as shocking as that concept might seem on paper. The match dragged at times, but it is fun to watch the yutes press like crazy. And man, Teixeira, soooo close to nabbing his first Liverpool goal, both with the backheel and later with a shot into the side netting just before the half.
- Firmino with another narrow miss. If Liverpool don't advance tonight, he'll certainly have a few regrets, with four good shots on goal so far.
- Lucas on for Brannagan. Hopefully Papa Lucas can help see this game out.
- If the sides were evenly matched in the first half, Liverpool have had the best of it in the second.
- Lallana is the final substitute, on for Roberto Firmino. Firmino was a giant among men today, but just couldn't manage to grab his first goal.
- Bournemouth's last ditch effort goes wanting, and that should do it for the Reds.
- Full Time: This time Liverpool score first and hold on for the nervy victory. It was a well-deserved first win for the new boss, especially with such a thin, heavily-rotated squad. Today marked a return to form for Jordon Ibe, and some stand-out performances for Teixeira and Firmino. Both Teixeira and Firmino were unlucky not to open up their scoring accounts for the Reds. The yutes acquitted themselves well, and the team as a whole grew into the game as it progressed.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season.