clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Video: Liverpool v. Everton, 1984 League Cup Final

A year after beating out Manchester United to secure their third League Cup, Liverpool would head back to Wembley for the fourth time in a row with the chance to further add to their trophy case, and this time they would face off against Everton for the honours. It was the first time the two sides met at Wembley, and when all was said and done it marked both the first trophy of manager Joe Fagan's brief time in charge and the end of Liverpool's run of dominance in the league cup.

As in previous years, nothing about Liverpool's victory was especially easy, and a side filled with 80s stalwarts Dalglish and Rush, Kennedy and Whelan, and Hansen and Grobbelaar and Lee failed to beat Everton over 120 minutes. Luckily for Liverpool, this time around their opponents didn't score first, and a replay at nearby Maine Road in Manchester was forced. The one-time "Wembley of the North" had had its capacity shrunk to just over 50,000, well down from the 100,000 that could pack the stands in its heyday, but its location made it an ideal venue for the unexpected match.

Everton wouldn't score first in the replay, either, and 21 minutes in captain Graeme Souness won Liverpool the game in his final season at the club. Two months later, Liverpool would go on to capture their fourth European Cup, though it would mark the final time they would do so for over two decades. For a time, though, between Liverpool's victory over Everton in the replayed League Cup final in March through their third consecutive league title and ending with European glory when they defeated Roma at their home stadium, it seemed as though the unstoppable Liverpool juggernaut of the early 80s had not only continued their winning ways but perhaps ascended to another level entirely as the club closed out arguably its most successful season ever.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Liverpool Offside Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Liverpool FC news from Liverpool Offside