I think he'll go with this line-up:
- - - - - - - - - - Reina - - - - - - - - -
- - Finnan - Carra - Agger - Arbeloa - -
- - - - - Mascherano - Alonso - - - - - -
- Pennant - - - Gerrard - - - - Riise - -
- - - - - - - - - - Kuyt - - - - - - - - - -
I'd go with that line-up.
I'll make this short and sweet. Go get a copy of the 2005 final and fast forward it to the second half.
Here's why we came back:
- Hamann contained Kaká - Kaká may be better, but as good as the Kaiser was, Mascherano is already better and for a geography lesson, Brazil and Argentina, the countries where Kaká and Masche are respectively from, are right next to each other. Get it? Masche knows Kaká's game.
- Gerrard dominated - Gerrard is the X-factor, he is a big game player and if you need further evidence go get a copy of the 2005 match against Olympiakos at the end of the group stage and the 2006 FA Cup final.
Reasons why I think we'll win:
- Our secret weapon is Jermaine Pennant.
- Kuyt will be extra motivated considering his father is really sick. I also think the lack of speed in the back will hurt Milan and we'll try to run their defense ragged early and often. Don't be surprised to see Bellamy.
- Harry Kewell will be looking to redeem himself.
Reasons why we could lose:
- Peter Crouch. I really hope he doesn't start and won't mind if he doesn't play at all. I'd take Maldini to shut him down anyday of the week. Hell, I'd take Maldini in a fifty meter dash over Crouch.
- If we don't contain Seedorf. That's what Xabi's job will be.
- If Arbeloa tries to play all over the field. Zone mark, Alvaro.
- If Milan gets a couple of wonder goals. Hey, it could happen.
Ultimately it comes down to this, we have Steven Gerrard. That's it.
My nerves are shot. I got two hours sleep last night and am going to have down a few later to get any tonight. Good luck to Milan.
Edit: One last thing, though it was posted by Martha on the Italy blog, I actually read about this asshole ref earlier. What a coincidence that AC Milan gets a favorable ref. It's more like a fucking joke, but here's the thing, we may play in the Premiership, but Liverpool is by no means an English side.