While Diego Costa and Stewart Downing have been the big-ticket news items over the last few days, a number of smaller rumors have slipped in under the fold. With the relative calm of the moment, now's as good a time as any to go over them.
- This one should make Sanchez happy: the Times (paywalled, so no link I'm afraid) is running with reports that while a deal with Benfica for Lorenzo Melgarejo has been scuppered, fresh links with Valencia's Aly Cissokho and Granada's Guilherme Siquiera have been formed. Cissokho has been gone over here plenty, but Siqueira warrants discussion. The left back offers a delightful combination of Brazilian-born flair and Italian-trained discipline along the flank; he's spent most of his career in Italy prior to moving to Granada two years ago.
- From the Guardian, it seems that Barcelona hasn't given up on trying to get Daniel Agger. However, this feels like a re-hashing of old rumors in the wake of Thiago Silva reportedly signing a new PSG deal. I seriously doubt there's any teeth to this one.
- Speaking of central defenders, rumored Liverpool target Toby Alderweireld is being linked with Everton. There's been very little news about Alderweireld and Liverpool in recent weeks, and that coupled with some Twitter comments from Belgian journalists in recent weeks, makes one feel as though my desire to see Toby in red isn't happening.
- Another rumored Liverpool target in the middle, Kurt Zouma, has ruled himself out of any moves this summer, stating that he wants to stay at St. Etienne for at least another season. Frankly, that makes the most sense for the young man, as he'd be assured more first-team time there than anywhere else that he's been linked to.
- One central defender newly being linked to the club is Chelsea's Kenneth Omeruo, albeit on a loan. I wouldn't be in favor of such a move for a variety of reasons, and frankly I don't see why Chelsea would be either. They'd want him to get a lot of playing time, which I don't think Liverpool would offer him.
- There's been precious little movement on the Jay Spearing front since he rejected a move to Blackburn, but now Bolton manager Dougie Freedman has spoken up about his club's interest in bringing back their player of the year from last season.
- Last but certainly not least is this truly bizarre report: Gerrard spoke after his testimonial about having rejected a move to a "Champions League club" last summer, and that club has apparently been identified as... Bayern Munich?! What in the actual hell? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that Stevie wants to stay and help get Liverpool back in the Champions League, but I can't get past the fact that Bayern even tried to get him. I can't think of why that would make any sense for Bayern, even a year ago.