Liverpool 1 Sturridge 37'
- Holy mother of Fowler football is back I don't quite understand all of these feelings that I'm feeling. Mostly I'd like to apologise in advance to everybody I know for the constant mood swings and alcohol-fuelled bouts of joy/sorrow they're going to have to deal with over the next nine months or so.
- Who's stollen Lucas' shirt and why is he in the final third?
- After playing at centre forward throughout the preseason, Aspas taking positions just off and around the main striker was something new, and his tricky link-up play turned out to be one of the most encouraging parts of Liverpool's attacking game.
- Turns out Mignolet is Flemish for "shaky in the air." Shot stopping, on the other hand...
- Next time around, scoring a second goal on one of the 37,428 chances Liverpool had would have been nice.
We'll be back shortly to take an in-depth look at everything that happened in today's game with the full recap. Until then, let us know your take on the ups and downs of the match in the comments, and if you haven't already, join the community on the Liverpool Offside, where we'll have full coverage and lively in-game discussion for every match this season. For those looking to discuss the weekend's football action beyond Liverpool, please join the conversation in our opening weekend open thread.